Need some help with a mood swing girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well what ever we're doing is making the moody Alice not so moody lol

I haven't gotten bit since the last time which was a day before I started this thread so we're doing good!

She's still being a bit bossy to the other two girls. She went up to Channel and started pulling at her sides. She's a bit rough but I think she'll get better with time.

Glad she is coming around! Biters are definitely not my specialty, but some rats just need time to come around.

Some just don't like humans rearranging their home. I recall that Corrie's daughters, although they never bit, got agitated if I cleaned the cage when they were in it. They would run around in a frenzy. I don't think rats like change.

I'm with Jo, if you have lots of money spay her and get the benefit of less chance of tumors.
If money is an object (like if you're normal)I would just give her some time, all any of my bitey kids needed was some time, usually only a few days but everyone's different... I'd give her a couple weeks but I'd protect myself in the meantime, no fingers by the cage, use rubber gloves if you must.
I had a boy that would attack my fingers anywhere near the cage even if he was outside of it! I kept my distance, putting in the food dish was recon & quick strike & retreat. Ignored him on the bed unless he came to me, and had a treat handy for that, I had my fingers in his cage in no time! he was mush for his lifetime in less than a week.
You just have to protect yourself in the meantime. Stealth & rubber gloves, I don't believe in rubber gloves cause the kid can't smell you or get close but if you have a really scared kid then better to have all 5 fingers in the glove than 4 left outside.
My fix for unfriendly kids is put them on my bed while I watch TV so I can ignore them til they come to me...let them go about their business, if they show an interest in me I have a treat ready but don't try to pat them. A few times of that and they get curious - they're ratties after all -

Thanks for all the advice and help! She's doing great no bites or even nips! She's still pretty nervous but she's getting better and don't have that evil eye as much.
I think she'll continue to do well :)

Back