need new source of aspen, or help with fleece design

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidget

I used to use aspen shavings but for the past couple months I've been trying out fleece. I was thinking of switching back to aspen because I have regular wire cages so I had to cut pieces of coroplast and sew pieces of fleece to wrap around them but they keep destroying them and the towels underneath (which makes lots of loose threads). I also thought the rats might prefer aspen over fleece with the heat. I changed to fleece because I moved further away from the store I bought aspen at and didn't feel like taking a giant bag across the city on public transportation...that store is now closed and I don't know where else I can find huge bags for $16 in Toronto.

Does anyone have suggestions on this fleece issue? I know rats will be rats and it would be impossible to keep them from chewing but any ideas on how to reduce it or preserving the fleece? Sew patches? A border of tougher material? I also thought of doing a pillow case design but then they'd probably go under it. They don't chew off pieces for nests, they just like to chew along edges, either the edge of the fleece base or inside their igloos etc. They do have toys for chewing on.

Also any suggestions on where to get fleece at a good price? I was getting it at the dollar store but now they sell very thin and overy stretchy fleece. How about towels? I used cheap ones that the washing machine destroyed since they were cut, I didn't really want to spend a lot on towels...maybe I should just buy small ones that fit the pan?

I read that someone uses carpet, which kind of sounds easier to use (I can just take it out through the cage door) and maybe they wouldn't chew it as much? I'm going away for 10 days in August and my boyfriend says he'll only clean their cages if I use shavings. If I stick with fleece I need something really easy for him to change.

Thanks.

I love BOXO. It lasts me 6 weeks (1 clean a week) and i have a DFN. It keeps the smell down, easy to vacuum and broom. You an find it in Global Pet Foods for about $30. Out of all the bedding i have tried this is my favorite.

I use this stuff. It's the cheapest, nicest aspen bedding I've been able to find. For me, it costs about $15 after shipping, and it's a BIG bag. I'll take a photo and list the dimensions when I get home.
http://www.pet360.com/product/9216/nati ... ed-bedding

This stuff is also decent, but more expensive. It still costs about $15 after shipping, but you get 1/2 the amount.
http://www.pet360.com/product/9215/nati ... ot-bedding

Here's a photo. Like I said, the shredded kind is about twice as big as the chips, so imagine this bag x 2. :3

pic7.jpg

Back