Need help with unstable rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitania

I have a rat that turns one in April, I got him when he was four months.
Before he came to us, he lived as the youngest rat in a pack of six.
Wookie, which he is called, both bit the previous owner and the other rats and he guarded the bowl, not letting anyone near it.
The previous owner and I, figured it might be better for him to live with my rats, where he would be the oldest.

In the new pack, he seemed to be a completely new rat.
No more biting other rats or humans!
But when he was about 7-8 months, our neighbour (in same house) acquired female rats.
They are located two doors from mine, so the rooms are not next to each other.
As soon as they moved in to the house, Wookie started puffing up and acting aggravated towards me when I took him out.

It developed into biting, where he was actively looking for skin to bite.
He was clearly stressed and kept marking my hands.
At first we didnt think that the scent of female rats could be the problem,
and thought it was only Wookie starting his puberty.
It is now almost four months since the girls moved into the house and Wookie has just gotten worse.
We cant even let him out of the cage for more than five minutes, before he starts to puff up, bite and mark.
He has also recently started this behaviour inside the cage, but only towards us, not against the other rats.
He is still kind to his rat buddies.

We have tried giving him outside-time in a new room/ in a separate cage/ alone and with others,
but nothing appears to be working.
He's also preventing the other rats from getting the out-side time they deserve since we dont like seeing him all alone in the cage, while the others are out.

I have an appointment for castration the 17th of April, but I would appreaciate if someone with similar experiences could share some info, or give me some pointers.

Wookie needs a neuter to get rid of those nasty hormones. Girls can set them off bigtime...I have an oldie here who came here sweet, and then became very hormonally aggressive with the scent of girls for the first time.

Yes he needs a neuter ... unspayed girls can cause unneutered boys to be very stressed.
I had a boy who would attack his brother when girls went into heat
(I was waiting for them to get large enough for my vet to feel comfortable spaying and neutering them.)

Another reason for not having two intact sexes in the same household is that it is a huge risk re pregnancy. Rats are very smart and very motivated, and people are not perfect. Plus many health benefits for spayed girls.

Hope you are able to have him neutered by a vet experienced in sucessfully neutering rats.
See : viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9640

Back