Need help to treat my boy with head tilt!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbg

Hello everyone. My lovely little special needs boy, Bubs, has developed a head tilt. I am pretty sure it is due to a neurological issue, possibly a tumour. I got him as a very tiny and sickly baby, and you may remember my posts back about 6 months ago about him being blind and deaf, and having a hunched curve in his spine. The thing is, I also have a dog less than two years old who has serious health issues, and as a result, my bank account has been drained due to vet care for him. I simply cannot afford a vet visit right now. I do have some meds on hand though and am hoping some of you here with all of your valuable knowledge can help me. As I understand, he should be put on prednisone, and an antibiotic. I have prednisone (50mg tablets), and doxycycline (100mg capsules) and azithromycin (100mg/5ml powder). I know how to prepare and dose the antibiotics, but not the prednisone. So, first of all, can I treat him with the prednisone and one or both of these antibiotics? And secondly, if so, how do I prepare the prednisone to give a proper dose? I know it's one mg per pound. Do I ground up the pill and mix it with a syrup like I do with the doxy, and how much syrup should I use? I really hope I have the right meds for him, because if not, I don't know what I can do. )o:

Hi, are you sure it's not an ear infection? I would definitely start up zithro and doxy for that. The pred might help for ear infection.
If you suspect a PT, how old is he? then he would only need the pred.
I will let someone else help with that. If lilspaz doesn't see this, I would private message her, she knows her meds well!

He's 8 months old. He has no symptoms except the head tilt. He is eating perfectly and acting like himself and very playful. I would think with an infection there would be some other symptoms of not feeling well. Maybe I'm wrong. With all of his other issues, I figured it likely that there may be some neurological issues as there is with PT. He holds his tail funny too now, but I'm guessing that has to do with imbalance from the head tilt. I will pm lilspaz if I don't hear from her by tomorrow. Thanks so much. (o:

Dose the doxy at 10 mg/kg and the zithromax at 20 mg/kg twice a day, and the pred at 1 mg/kg once a day.
Take your pred pull and mix it with 1 ml of water in a small bottle. Once it's dissolved, add 4 mls of syrup to it and shake well. This gives you 10 mg/ml pred. If you have a weight and concentrations of your doxy/zithromax I can give you his doses?

He weighs 350 grams, or 12.5 ounces (he is very tiny for his age of 8 months!). The doxy is 100mg capsules (I usually mix this with 12ml of slightly diluted syrup), and the zithro is 100mg/5ml powder (I only have 100 mg of this and I dilute it with 3ml of water to make 5ml. I hope I have enough to treat him long enough). Is that enough info to go on? Thank you so much Lilspaz! I love this little guy and want him to have as long and happy a life as I can give him. (o:

OK your doxy is 8.34 mg/ml (you might want to just use 10 ml's of fluid or even 5 ml, to make it either 10 mg/ml or 20 mg/ml doxy)
and your zithro is 20 mg/ml if you followed the instructions on the box.

His doses would be 0.42 ml doxy twice a day and 0.26 ml zithro twice a day.

Hope your baby is feeling better. He might always have the head tilt. We had a nakie that got an ear infection at around six weeks (or so we think). I think his brother jumped on his head - lol. Anyway, he always kept a slight tilt and became known as "crooked head" Healing vibes from all of us.

Back