Need help - rat-bite fever???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgal

Not sure where this should be posted....About 3 weeks ago, my daughter was feeding one of our boys and he overbit her little middle finger. It was a total accident and he let go pretty quick but it was a pucnture wound and bled. I took her to the doctors to get it checked out and she gave her a 3-day course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side.

The wound has completely healed but over the last two days she has come down with a fever and loss of appetite and is a little wobbly on her feet. She did vomit once too but has no other symptoms - no rash or anything. I took her to the ER last night after she vomited but they didn't think it had anything to do with the bite as the wound had healed and told me she just probably had a virus. I know at this age kids do pick up anything that is going around so it's hard to tell!

Does anyone know anything about rat-bit fever? Can you get it from pet rats? I keep their cage really clean - daily clean ups and weekly scrub downs and total disinfection etc. If she has no rash is it not this? Can it develop 3 weeks later? I'm starting to get quite concerned but trying not to panic as after googling it the chances seem pretty low but there are also some stats that scare me...should I take her back to the ER and insist on antibiotics or am I totally over-reacting?

Thank you so much.

I wouldn't worry about rat-bite fever with her especially if it's been 3weeks since her bite. Rta bite fever is more of an allergic reaction to a bite so it would happen at the very most within a week of the bite happening. I would trust the doctors at the ER especially if you told them about the bite.

I think there is more to worry aobut when cats are involved. Hope this help ease your mind.

hi there,

I too have a wee one, who is ALWAYS playing with rats. He's been bit, geeze, alot. :doh: Beina a rescue we get ALOT of "unknowns" come in. No idea what, where, who, ANYTHING about them...

He's never had to go to the doctor for a bite, I would say it's more or less a viral thing hun.

I too have been bitten more times than not, a couple times had to go to emergency for swelling, possible breakage, etc. I've been given antibiotics for bites, but more of a precautionary measure than anything...

I wouldn't worry, if it's healed up, than it's not the bite causing the illness, just a virus....
:hugs:

Thanks so much everyone for replying that's all good to know - my mind's more at ease now that I've heard from ratty people. I've been worried about swine flu too but the hospital didn;t think it was that either..... I think I'm just being an over-concerned mom but needed gto make sure.

The cute thing is after we cleaned her bite she went back to our boys, gave each of them a kiss and said "okay, okay!"

AW, thanks. Yes I think so too....that makes me so happy as I grew up that way too with a natural affinity for animals. A week ago she was rescuing worms from our driveway and putting them in the garden.Needless to say she has doted on our ratties since Day 1 and within in week was checking their water bottles and food dishes and she is barely 18 months...totally amazing :)

Thanks again for being here :)

jorats said:
I agree with sausage4ever, I'd be more worried that she's picked up the swine virus.

LOL My nine year old cousin caught it somehow...it's not really funny but you never think of it being in your family (and it's a mild case)

This year there seem to be a lot of viruses doing the rounds. I know several people whose kids have been very sick for a few days. Lots of adults, too. It is unusual for this time of year. I can't help but wonder if they are weaker variants of the swine flu.

Back