Need Help-Jazzie's Eye Tearing & Ear on Same side twitches

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujubeespmud

Need your help!! Jazzy's right eye has been tearing and is more closed than her other eye. I noticed it last week and I thought it may have been conjunctivitis. I used warm compresses on it and it opened up to the normal size (looked the same as the other eye). So I thought I was in the clear since a few days after it seemed normal. Today I noticed it again and this time I started really examining her more closely. I notice that her ear on the same side is kind of "twitching". She has a slight bit of porpyhrin on the bottom edge of the eye and the eye looks a little like (just very slightly) it's sinking in the eye socket. She has been sneezing a bit too. I plan to take her to the vet this week. However, is there anything I can do for her in the meantime? Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be? I read the Debbie D's book but the only thing I could really think it was is maybe an ear infection??? and maybe it's affecting the eye? I'm hoping it's not real serious, but just in case and since she is sneezing, I started her on baytril.

It could be just an ear infection. You want to be fairly aggressive with your treatment of it, since if it gets bad enough she can have permanent damage and/or a tilt. If she does start to tilt, roll, or circle, getting her a steroid within the first 24hrs after presenting that symptom will limit the damage. You'll want her on some stronger antibiotics, too, like a combo with Baytril/Doxy.

Your vet will be able to really look at her, and hopefully will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Hey Julie!!! :hugs:

I have not had any experience with ear twitching but I have had an experience with the eye swelling.

I don't remember if your rat cage is anywhere near an A/C vent or in the path of any kind of draft, but my boy's watery and swollen eye problem was the result of A/C air blowing into the cage indirectly.

I did not take him to the vet that time because I had had the idea that the draft might be his problem. I draped a large sheet and a large towel over three sides of the cage to protect them from drafts and the problem went away and never returned.

If the girls are not subjected to any A/C or draft air then I would strongly recommend that you follow Javakittie's advice!

I also turned to Debbie D's health book for reference and found that one watery eye can result from a foreign object in her eye, infection, injury, abnormal eyelash, ectopic cilia, plugged tear duct, tumor or glaucoma.

I found the following link which may help!

http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/Distichiasis.php

Give the little lady scritches from me and a small piece of Harlan Teklad for her woes! :love6:

:hugs:

It could be an ear infection, or worse... My mom had a rat with a very smelly ear/eye, the vet was sure there was a tumour behind the eye, we couldn't do anything about it. He was put on meds and watched him closely. It never really seemed to bother him much and lived a good life.

Hi all, I took Jazzie to the vet last night. My usual vet didn't see her, but another exotic doc did. She was very sweet and took kindly to my rats and seemed to know her stuff. She did a thorough exam of Jazzy, checking in her ears, throat and eyes. She said she believes she has an eye infection and gave me Vetropolycin ointment to apply to the affected eye 3 times a day. I am to bring her back in one week. However, I asked her about the ear twitching on that same side. She said she thinks it is a pain reaction to the eye, since it it probably painful. I think it's kind of strange, and I thought I read somewhere that conjuctivitis isn't normally painful. What do you think?

Jazzy has had 3 does so far and I did notice that there isn't a discharge any longer, but her ears still twitches. Also, I mentioned to the vet that Jazzie and one of the other girls, Branwen have some scabs on their shoulders and a few places on their backs. (Candy has none). I know that Branwen is grooming Jazzy a lot. However, I was concerned and thought maybe it could be mites. So the vet gave me some revolution to use on all three girls. Could it possibly be that there are mites in her ear?? Maybe that is why her ear is twitching.
Julie

Julie

Conjunctivitis is very uncomfortable in humans, so I'd assume it would be the same for rats. It's almost like you have sand in your eyes, very gritty feeling and itchy and bright lights hurt your eyes and makes them water. It seriously sucks.

I don't know what exactly could be causing the ear twitching. Your vet me correct that it's a pain/irritation response. It could be mites around her ears, too. When you dose her with the Revolution, it will go through her whole body. So if there are any mites on her ear, it'll kill them, too. You're treating her eye, so if it's caused by that, it'll fix that.

Thanks for your response...Yes, you are correct about the conjunctivitis can be painful and the eye can be light sensitive. I guess I was thinking it may be two things going on here. The eye and the ear. When I look at her face, it appears that the side with the problem looks kind of "pulled back"..almost crooked. Her eye appears to have improved somewhat. Today is the 2nd full day of treatment (so far has had 7 doses to the eye.) Her ear is still twitching. Last night I treated all of the rats with the revolution. I was told to give just a tiny drop to the back near the shoulders on the skin. It smells like alcohol. I waited for it to dry before putting the rats all together. I'll keep you informed. In fact, I have a video of Jazzy and if I can manage, tonight I will put it on Youtube if you want to see it.
Julie

Back