Need help and fast..7 Week old very lethargic. (RIP Chance)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much guys. :) I can tell the other boys miss him already, as he loved to play with them. But I am very glad and fortunate to have it not be something that will spread and harm any of them. While I can't be sure, he did not look to be in much if any pain, and seemed to go quite peacefully. I'm also glad

I'll be sure to make another thread for him with plenty of pictures soon. <3

I am sorry about your little man, I suspected it wouldn't be much longer from his video when you were holding him :(

The only thing I have to add is if this was not an oops litter but deliberate I would advise against breeding any of these rats, as it can be genetic.

lilspaz68 said:
I am sorry about your little man, I suspected it wouldn't be much longer from his video when you were holding him :(

The only thing I have to add is if this was not an oops litter but deliberate I would advise against breeding any of these rats, as it can be genetic.
Likewise, but I wanted to be hopeful and at least do the best I could for the little guy. He was certainly a fighter, that's for sure.

The litter was intended, but with the mother passing, I do not intend on breeding the father again. I'd love to keep their lineage going by breeding the babies (Obviously not together!), but if there are risks of that, I'd definitely avoid it.

Anthony said:
lilspaz68 said:

Likewise, but I wanted to be hopeful and at least do the best I could for the little guy. He was certainly a fighter, that's for sure.

The litter was intended, but with the mother passing, I do not intend on breeding the father again. I'd love to keep their lineage going by breeding the babies (Obviously not together!), but if there are risks of that, I'd definitely avoid it.

I would avoid this like the plague.

sorry for your loss. :( poor little Chance. you gave him a lot of love and care, and that's the best thing we can do for our pets. I would avoid using the father for breeding, and any of the babies, since it can be genetic.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm going to have to. It's probably impossible to tell if any of them are "carriers" or it would be passed down or something like that, and I don't want to risk any more losses. I'm going to urge those whom I adopted out two of the babies to do the same.

Chance will be laid to rest with his mother in the near future, along with two of the pups in the 16 liter that didn't make it at a very young age. The others all miss them quite a lot. I imagine it's very strange for the girls to not have their mother with them.

I'm truly so sorry for your heart about both your losses.
But a responsible breeder would have got a necropsy on Mom to know what can be expected with the babies.
I don't want to knock you when you're down hon, but breeding is not a thing to be undertaken lightly without full research & knowledge of the parents, and staying knowledgeable about the health of the line you are breeding. Somebody like you could take one of the girls from you and do same as you with the same results.
It hurts the breeders hearts, but more importantly it hurts the kids.
But I grieve for mom, and her baby, and feel for your grief.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Please don't breed anymore - there are so few good homes and so many rescue rats in need of good homes.
If you do decide to continue breeding, please do the research, only breed rats whose genetic history and health of all lines going back many many generations is known, etc.
And make sure you have a great deal of money and are prepared to care for all the babies for their entire lives.

Back