Need Advise!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi again...you are so right..he would learn more on here than at vet school!!!! about ratties anyway.

i had kira and keeko together yesterday and today on my desk. Kira did jump keeko and make her screach, but I seperated them. That didn't last too long. I then saw Kira cleaning Keeko which really surprised me. Even though she did that, I can see that she is the dominant one. Can rats be dominant? I am still quite nervous about them being together, but I will do this daily until the babies are gone. Once that is done, I will clean the cage a final time and maybe bath each of them and then try them together in the cage. I bought some stuff to bath them, but I have not used it as yet. Does anyone bath their rats????? Is it ok to do it?

I will keep you posted on the progress, and thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Dominance is probably the #1 consideration in their whole social thing. Any rats new to each other will have to get that sorted out before they can be together. Often it will include some rough play. Hard as it is to see them give each other a rough time they need to sort out who is boss so they can be a happy family. Best we don't interfere unless there is bloodshed. Don't worry about little squabbles even if they are noisy and scary to you. Don't separate them or interfere or think that they hate each other, let them sort it out. The rule is No blood - No foul.

Sounds like your girls did real good tho! Absolutely no worries about Kira & Keeko visiting together! The more time they spend together the better.
Only consideration is that Kira has something to fight for now (dont know if she was alpha before or not or if it makes a difference). When they are totally cool - which I expect they should be real soon if you keep up the visits (as many as a day as you can) then maybe you could try Keeko in the cage with your hands ready if she has a problem with the babies or Kira has a problem with her there. No blood-No foul doesn't apply with babies of course. But still, don't stress if Keeko licks the babies or Kira just seems uncertain or nervous. Keep your hands in the cage and your eyes watching.

There's very few rules for ratties, only suggestions for ratties in general, cause they are so individual in behaviour. That's why you'll see so many suggestions here for one question. What works for one might not work for another..

Sounds like your girls did good. Have as many sessions as time allows and I think they will very soon be as they were before. Then you can address when Keeko is ok to go back with Kira & the babes.

Rats only need baths if they are really REALLY dirty. I wouldn't bother unless they are exceptionally gross, they do a good job of cleaning themselves

great advice from both of you. I will continue to watch them carefully. I think they will need more time together outside the cage. I will feel more comfortable maybe in a week or so. Then I will try them.
I cleaned Kira's cage last night. She really scared me because she took her babies, one by one, and moved them into her sling bed. Then a few minutes later, when I was done and had put the clean box back in, she took them again, and moved them back to the box. When she had first picked up the baby, I was thinking that maybe she would try to kill it, but she has been such a good mother. She is probably too young to be a mother right now as well, so I am quite surprised. Her babies are soooooooo cute! They now have fur and you can see the different patterns and colours of them.

I spoke to a pet store that does not have feeder rats, however, they are not allowed to take the rats from people. They did take my name and number and said they would contact me if they find any homes for them. I am hoping that I get some calls soon. I will be happy when I find homes for all of them. As I have 3 dogs, I think that 2 are plenty for me. I want to be able to spend time with them all.

also....no bath for them as they seem to be really clean...they are not gross at all!

You can post pics of the babies and updates about them here as they grow and hopefully someone will take a love to one or 2. :D
How are the girls together in outings without the babies there now? Don't be too eager to separate them if they have a little noise or kafuffle, they have to sort things out between themselves and you'll only put off what they need to do if you keep them from doing it.
I didn't even notice the bath comment. No need to bath them. Had you heard you should? How are the babies doing? Kira's a good mom?

Since starting this forum, we get all kinds of member and I'm really learning my Ontario cities. How far are you from TO?
Trying to get an idea if when the time comes some people may be able to adopt. We have a section for adoptions, when the time comes, you can sex your rats and if you can take pics, that always helps too.

Hi there,
I'm ALWAYS down near Brooklin, and could help with transporting some babies to the Toronto area... I'm just north of Peterborough, but have family in Brooklin, Whitby, and Oshawa, so like I said i'm ALWAYS down there!
So if you would be so kind as to post up some pics we could find some babies some WONDERFUL and LOVING rat shack peeps' homes!!!! (does that even make sense? LOL)

I've also sent you a PM saying the same thing basically, but PLEASE post up some pics, i'm sure most babies would be adopted through here, no?

Back