Need Advise!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susant14

I have 2 female young rats. My daugters boyfriend put in one of his male rats, and voila...one of mine just had a litter of 8. The problem is that the rat that had the litter is attacking the other female rat. She seemed to get along somewhat with her prior to the litter, but is worse now. I had to put the one rat in a cage alone. I don't like keeping her by herself, and I don't want to get another rat. I am not sure how to go about finding homes for the babies when they are old enough, but I thought of contacting a store to see if they sell "pet" rats. Do you think once the babies are gone, the other rat can be reintroduced to her. Do you think they will ever get along? I am not happy at all that my rat had babies, but now I have to deal with it. This will not happen again!!!!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I love my 2 rats and really want them to get along.
Thanks Much

Well, you sure let things get messed up for both the girls that used to live happily & peacefully together, and for you who had a nice couple of pets and no problems, and for these helpless babys that may end up as snake food. Went from a nice little life for everyone to hell for everyone eh?

I screwed up like that too with my first rats. I'd even had the boy fixed before the babies came but I was too late. This was years ago before I had a computer, I got out the phone book and phoned pet stores starting at home and branching out to find someone to take them, spent a whole day driving many miles to drop 1 or 2 here. I've learned since that they might have been snake food.

I sure learned. I still agonize as I guess you can hear in this. I trust you know better now too?

I don't know what your part was in this cause I don't know you. Some people encourage that stupidity. But if your daughters boyfriend did with without your knowing? How old is he? I'd think about taking him to Small Claims Court and asking money to have both adult females and the baby females spayed so this never happens to any of them again, and punitive damages because it was a purposeful act that caused you stress and hours of your busy time spent finding homes for the offspring..... I'd tell the judge I'd settle for cost of having my 2 females spayed so I could leave the house and know they are safe from his 'pranks' tho. Don't get me wrong, it's now about money, I don't believe that money solves things but I do believe that sometimes it's the only thing that makes people say "wow, I'll never do that again". And not often animals get fair play in court but long as he's your kids bf I think you could definitely get spay costs for your girls 'to be able to leave the house without worry in future' - benefitting your girls and smartening boyfriend up for good!

:thumbup: He might think twice about impregnating your daughter til he has your permission.

Yes, the 2 girls can be reintroduced after the babies are weaned.

Make sure to remove the baby boys from the girls at or just before 5 weeks, so no more accidents can happen.

Where are you located? We can help you figure out how to rehome the bubs without hopefully having to resort to the hated petstore where the babies will likely end up as feeders :(

Hi and welcome!

I'm sorry you've been put in such a horrible situation. That bf needs to have a good talking too and held accountable as well.
Hopefully we'll be able to help you find good homes. Pet stores are not good homes, they will just end up as snake food. Bf should pay for all the care and upkeep of these babies while they remain in your care.

Welcome to the forum. You did fine separating your girls. Mama needs to be alone with her babies right now. As the babies get older you can give the two girls time out together. But right now mom needs to be with the bubs. Hope you can find good homes for your sweeties. Where are you situated?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum. I'm so sorry - that was a very irresponsible thing your daughter's boyfriend did to you and your ratties. When the time comes - we can try to help you find homes for your babies. It might help for you to post pictures and keep updating us day by day as they begin to grow. Someone may just happen by your thread and fall madly in love.

:welcome2:

Very sorry that this happened.
All I can add to what has been said is please be very careful as to where the babies go and screen potential new homes.
There may be some good rat rescues in your area that would help rehome the babies.

What a scary situation for you!

Welcome to the forum, where you will sure learn a lot. It sounds like your daughter's boyfriend needs a refresher course on "The Birds and The Bees" :giggle:

Welcome to the Shack, I'm glad you've come here for help. Best place. Where are you located?
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure you will have a nice talk with your daughters boyfriend.

Welcome to the shack.
That bf of your daughter needs a swift kick in the arse if you ask me. That is a complete violation, and he knew what he was doing if he is old enough to be a boyfriend. He wouldn't be allowed in my house because I would tie various parts of his anatomy into knots! And definately do not consider giving your babies to a petstore because like everyone else said they will probably end up being snake food. Their are lots of people here with a bunch of experience in rehoming little ones so I have no doubt they will find homes.

Wishing you the best of luck that all goes smoothly when you reunite Kira & Keeko!! And wishing the babies all wonderful homes!

I'm wondering if it's always necessary to keep cagemates apart after one has babies til the babies are weaned, or if you can attempt to reintroduce the other girl back with them while you are there to look after things if the mom allows it? Do moms always ostracise the cagemate or is it more dependant on the individual mom? And is the cagemate likely to hurt the babies or is that dependant on the individual cagemate? Might some cagemates be maternal and look after the babies giving mom a break sometimes?

Fidget, not always, I've heard of moms still living with their cagemate and taking care of the litter. The cagemate will sometimes care for the babies as well, help in keep warm and clean them. But I don't think that's the norm.

Just want to thank everyone for all your help. I am really glad that I joined the "Rat Shack". I also want to assure everyone that I am not going to just drop them off at the pet store. I was going to call one first and ask if they have feeder rats. If they do, then of course I am going to go elsewhere. If anyone has any other idea's to re-home them, I will for sure listen.

And yes, the boyfriend deserves a swift kick! He should know better than to mess with someone elses pets. He knew that I took the one rat away from my son because he was going to feed it to his snake. So why would I let my rat have babies and let them feed them to their snakes??? Beats me??? But with all that said, he is a pretty good guy. He is 23 by the way! He attends university and has completed 4 yrs and is waiting to see if he is accepted into Vet school! Believe it or NOT!!! He is truly sorry for what he did. I think he realizes how it upsets me. I know he will never do that again. It is just too bad that it all happened and now my girls may never get along again. I sure hope I am wrong about that. They are both so sweet. Kira is black and white, and Keeko is beige. I will keep everyone informed as time goes on and let you know how things turn out.

Again...Thankyou all so much for caring!!!!!

Once the babies are weaned, and perhaps before then, your girls will be friends again.
The mom is just being very protective of her babies.

Personally, I don't think the boyfriend is very mature, or trustworthy.
No way should he ever have responsibility for animals if he doesn't hold them in higher regard then what he has displayed. The attitude he has displayed toward your rats is the complete opposite from what a vet or someone who wants to be a vet, should have.
If you can't trust him with your pets, I doubt you can trust him with your daughter.

Don't worry, I'm almost positive your girls will be happy together again.

I must say, I'm quite shocked that the bf is 23 and trying to get into vet school. Is he the one with snakes? Then I can understand why to him rats are not as important as what they consider real pets. We've heard some doozies about vets here, where a few won't even look at rats let alone treat them.
Hopefully this will have changed the bf, perhaps make him understand that to some people rats are precious pets.

After seeing how this affected you maybe the boyfriend will end up being a more compassionate vet in the long run!

Have you tried having Kira & Keeko out together on the couch with you for a visit or 2 together every day so they can visit without the babies there? That would ease your mind if they are good together. If there is difficulty you could deal with it like an intro and that would keep them from being apart for too long. If things go good for a few days you could try Keeko in with mom & babes for short periods while you are right there to see that Keeko is ok with the babes and Kira is ok with her being there.. If all goes well maybe mom would accept Keeko back with them, if not right away maybe soon?

Hi again..That is a good idea to put Kira and Keeko together outside the cage. I use to take both up to my computer and let them run on my desk together. I kind of set up a little play thing for them with a box and kleenex and toys. I made them a little hiding place on my desk which I may block so I can seperate them if necessary. Boy, there is so much to learn about a new animal. Everyone is being so helpful. Thankyou all so much!

My son and the bf have snakes. I told them that I went to a reptile show once and we were told it could actually be dangerous to feed live mice to a snake. The snake can be bitten. I know that all this is nature, but I don't want that kind of nature happening in my house. At least in the wild, the mouse has a chance to escape. There are other ways of feeding a snake. I am just sorry that I ever allowed my son to get a snake. I didn't know they fed them live things. I don't even like live crickets as food. Well like someone said earlier..."live and learn".

I will let you know how Kira treats Keeko outside the cage. I am going to give it a try.

I also told the bf that when he becomes a vet, he will have to treat all my animals, including my rats!!! for FREE!

susant14 said:
I also told the bf that when he becomes a vet, he will have to treat all my animals, including my rats!!! for FREE!
oboy, you learn fast! :laugh4: :thumbup: Better make him spend some time on this site - He could learn a lot here about ratties special needs & anatomys, and treatments that work and ones that dont. We could all teach him to be a good ratty vet!

I hope the girls will be good together in visits, and will be back living together soon! :D

Back