Need Advice re: getting a dog

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

So although this is a rat forum I trust people on here to give me honest opinions that are in the animal's best interest :cuddle: As some of you know I currently live in the Northwest Territories (very far north) in a community only accessible by plane. I have been here just over a month and I am really missing having an animal companion.

I have decided if I get any animal it will be a small dog because 1) I don't have a cage for any small animals and 2) cats require trying to get litter up here. Plus I have always been a dog person. It has to be a small dog because over Christmas they restrict checked animal baggage on the plane so it would have to fit in a carry on. This also means they would be able to stay with me the entire trip which I hope would be less stressful. The biggest and really only con is no vet in town so if something happened I would have to wait until the next plane out. I should also add my vet at home is amazing and would probably be able to send me up with the basics like metacam, de-worming meds etc.

So give it to me straight....thoughts? :stickpoke:

Are there other dogs there? What do they do if they need vet care? That would be my only worry. Good luck with your decision.

The vet thing is an issue. But I wonder if you got an older dog, like say 5 years old, it might have a stronger immune system and could wait for regular vet visit. Also, another concern would be how long during the day will the dog be alone?

Sadly animals aren't valued here so while everyone has dogs very few are well cared for. I did however find out that a vet comes in every few months. A new nurse just arrived and she has a dog so I am going to talk to her and see what kind of plans she has in place for her dog in case of emergency.

I am leaning towards older as well and definitely one that has already been fixed.

During the day the dog wouldn't be alone for more than 3.5 hours. Because of the small town everything shuts down for an hour at lunch and we all go home. So from 8:30-12 and then from 1-4:30

Back