Need Advice about brands

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i believe there must be at least one healthy seeds mix to feed them.
I will try the blocks, but i don't wanna go only that way.

Happiness doesn't deppend of what we eat, i didn't said that. But if there was a pill to eat, that would give me all the nutrinients i needed, i wouldn't eat it. It doesn't feels natural, but more like a robotized thing.

But, if the pill gave you the basis of what you needed, and you added things on top of it, like what we do with our rats, you'd feel differently.

Until you can find a commercially made mix that GUARANTEES that each and every rat will each and each and every ingredient, a mix will not be complete. With rats being able to pick and choose their favourite parts, it's just not possible. If you offer them blocks as a staple and mixes as the occasional treat with veg and fruit every day, you will have very happy rats :)

I agree with everyone else. Go with a healthy lab block and no seed mixes. Plus, seed mixes will get expensive because whatever your rat doesnt want to eat is just gonna go to waist. And seed mixes usually contain alfalfa pellets which rats dont eat and dried corn (lots of it) and those are just useless fillers.

Ok I said that the wrong way. They have more corn than needed I guess is one way you can put it. It's not useless its just that there is SO MUCH in a lot of the mixes. Fresh or frozen corn is probably a better option though. I say go with blocks and veggies.

I wouldn't eat the pill.

I'm going to try blocks, just as i said, but i won't stop giving them seedst together with it, if they don't like the blocks. If they do, i'm giving as a treat.

Just keep in mind, that if they know they are going to get the seed mix and veggies, then they will not eat their blocks and hold off until then because the mix is yummier than the blocks...in some rats opinions.

I would suggest not buying a store bought seed mix and make your own, HEALTHIER mix that includes grains, low/non sugar cereals, puffed rice (any kind of grain that is puffed), whole wheat pasta and any other healthy things at your local grocery store. It's much healthier than store bought mixes and it is probably cheaper too.

I found the Rat Duo blocks and started feeding them today :nod:

They're really hungry cause i didn't fed them anything else today (only veggies), but they still won't eat them :/
I tried soaking some of the blocks in water and it worked for Fivela (my husky), he eated about one block.
Botão (my champagne) tried some, but no more than a little bite.

I'm feeling so guilty cause they won't stop staring at me with those cute eyes like "we're hungry and it's your fault", i'm feeling really bad :(
If by tomorrow they still don't eat them i'm gonna give them something else and try again next week...
Yesterday we made a big car trip and all they had after was the blocks, but they won't eat them, so... i'm afraid for them.

You need to give them some time, this food is brand new to them, and they might not trust it yet.

Just keep a fresh supply in their cage along with their daily veggies and they'll start to eat eventually.

Rats will not starve themselves. They are holding off for when you give them yummier stuff and thats why their not eating them. I would still stick to the blocks.

Let's see how much time it will take :wink:

It's been two days now, i just don't wanna see them starve much longer.
Sunday is my limit, cause then we'll need to travel again, and i'm afraid they'll feel bad during the journey :gaah:

It's been almost five days and they still don't eat the blocks!... :shock:

It's breaking my heart, seeing them always so hungry and beggin me for treats!...
All i have been feeding them are the blocks, their veggies and no more than four seeds i give them from my hand, as treats.
They chew the blocks eventually, but they leave them right away, all the blocks are still there :/
They're really hungry, they eat the veggies like there's no tomorrow.

I really don't know what to do :pale:

Blocks aren't eaten all at once, the nibbling is ok. But if you are very concerned, you could weigh them and see if they are drastically loosing weight. If they are then you must go back to what they were used to.

Back