Necropsy questions and pictures *HEART TUMOR, GRAPHIC PICS*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglycupcake

Yesterday, my rat passed. Io was being treated for pneumonia, and the antibiotics were not making her any better. When the vet performed an necropsy on her, it was found to be a massive heart tumor, which as it grew, diminished her lung's capacity to expand. :sad3:

I am very confused by the image of the necropsy, and was wondering if anyone had pictures of theirs they'd be willing to share so I can compare. Or if anyone could provide their take on this one. The image of what I'm assuming is her heart is very confusing. It looks nothing like a heart?

Has anyone else had a rat with a heart tumor? Did they display any symptoms that would have made you believe it wasn't a respiratory thing? I'm so shaken by this, because there was just nothing that could have been done and no one suspected it was a heart tumor.

Picture below:
[spoil:1gjys6ng] [/spoil:1gjys6ng]

During my undergrad I dissected a few rats and took pictures for study purposes.

I think this one will help. Its of the chest cavity the way it should look like.

Right in the middle is the heart and then above and below (the picture is taken from the side) are the lobes of the lungs.

I hope this helps. If you need me to label just let me know.

I'm so sorry about your girl :(

[spoil:2gbcg4yw]
DSC01832.jpg
[/spoil:2gbcg4yw]

I'm so sorry about the loss of your rattie. That is quite the tumor. It's great you did her necropsy - it's a very good learning opportunity. It's tough to lose our babies...... :hugs:

I'm so sorry. I had never known of a rat with a heart tumour, but I have had many die of apparent respiratory illnesses without getting a necropsy. Your poor sweetie had such a massive tumour.

May she run free at the Bridge.

Back