Navi's spay site

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayLightNewDay

Hey guys, I had a quick question... Navi got spayed two or three months ago now, and she is all healed up and her fur has grown back... but when I touch the incision spot, it feels hard and gross like there are stitches under the skin. Is that normal? There is also a little piece of plastic string coming out from under her armpit (where a tumor was removed). Should I trim it or leave it alone? Shouldn't she have been sewn up with dissoluble thread?

Its most likely scar tissue, but I remember I could actually feel the lumps and see blue stitches on a girl I adopted from the THS through her skin.

As for the stitch sticking out, it's most likely a peice that didn't dissolve properly. I just triim them down and don't worry. To dissolve it has to be IN the body, so it never will, so then you trim :)

I can't get a good picture of it since it's covered in fur, I'd need more than two hands to get a clear picture. :p
But no, it doesn't look red or discolored at all, it just feels like there are stitches in there... I have felt scar tissue on humans, and it doesn't feel like that, but maybe it feels different on rats.

Its also possible they didn't use dissolvable stitches inside of her. Just keep a general eye on it for any changes, but its probably just fine.

I found a pic of Tawnie's belly

Tawniesspayincision2.jpg~original

The absorbable sutures that are used under the skin or to sew up the muscle always seem to take quite a few months to fully absorb. I wouldn't worry unless it looks swollen or irritated.

Thank you all. I guess she's fine since it only feels weird, but it looks perfect and she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I touch it or when she is climbing and playing.

I think Kona's probably would of remained inside him too had one of his brothers not lacerated him there AGAIN!! a couple weeks ago!

Back