Nasty mouth abcess.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

:cry3: My poor old Lilly(30 to 32 months), I noticed a lump on her left cheek Wednesday night it was larger than a pea so I thought it was tumor but this morning it was smaller and looks as if it is an abcess and it finally popped. It is awful nasty and smelly. From what i have read mouth abcesses they never turn out for the better. So my very first rat ever, my sweet old lady will go to the vet at 11:45 to see what the vet thinks but in my heart I know what is best for her and that is to let her go. She is so skinny, no backend mobility, two tumors and now the nasty abcess in her mouth. So keep us in your thoughts as we spend our last few hours together. :heart:

I'm so sorry. My thoughts go out to you and your Lilly. May her last hours be peaceful. She's blessed to have your love and caring and I'm sure she knows it.

(((hugs)))

dl
:heart:

I am so sorry. If she just seems so unhappy with all her infirmities, it might be the best choice. If its not a tooth abscess and your girl wants to keep fighting, you might have a chance.

I am dealing with a face abscess too, but my girl is young and healthy, which gives me more options.

((hugs))

I'm so sorry Melissa... this happened to my Jasper, it was like the final sign that it was time to let them go, be free from their ailing bodies and be full again.

Good news. :happydance: I took her to the vet. He suggested a little sedation so he could take a better look, Lilly was fighting him like mad she did not want to be held and looked at. He said it is not a tooth it is an abcess on her cheek which he believes was cause by a hooked tooth. So he cut the tooth. removed the dead skin from the abcess, flushed it, put some antibiotic/antiinflamatory cream on it, gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent me home with Trim-sulph(sp?) twice a day for 14 days. He thinks she will be just fine just keep an eye on it and if flares up again then we might think about her quality of life.

So my Lilly is still with me, she looks so much better I can see the hole it is almost on the outside of her lip. It does not smell near as bad as it did before he did what he did. She was so eager to eat when she got home. She attempts to eat her HT blocks but I have some HT's soaking in vanilla ensure and I am going to give that to her twice a day to help her eat and hopefully get a little more weight on her. So far so good. :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone. :cuddle: I feel bad for always thinking the worst :? and that this is the end. But I feel I have to in some way prepare myself a little, it seems to put my heart at ease.

Lilly is still doing really well and was HUNGRY. So that is a very good sign. :joy: :joy:

Back