Nala's going to the vet today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

So some of you might have read my Oxbow Concern thread yesterday. I mentioned that one of my rats wasn't looking too good and I thought it could have been because she wasn't eating enough food. Well last night she took a turn for the worse and became very lethargic and it was obvious something was really wrong with her. There was more to it than the Oxbow thats forsure. I dosed her with baytril which she ate like candy and was feeling a bit better but she's still not right. I have an appointment with Dr.Munn this afternoon so hopefully she will be able to shed some light on this. Nala is only 11 months old and has never been sick before so this is really strange that she would have these symptoms. I hope my girl is going to be ok. :(

We just got back. My vet said the reason why my rats have been loosing so much weight is because they were so used to the brand of food I was giving them and when I swiched them over without slowly changing their diet it really messed them up. :(

She said she has seen it before with rats and other small animals and often times food changes can result in alot of problems. I would never have done that to my babies on purpose but the food I was giving them (harlan teklad) is so hard to buy and the one bag I had stored at my boyfriends place got wet so I had to change their food on very short notice. Apparently Nala's belly was very sensitive to the change that it was much harder for her body to adapt.

There is also a possibility that she could have some kind of small underlying medical issue, which would explain what happened to her last night, but Dr.Munn couldn't find anything wrong with her. She's on baytril for the next week just incase and I was told to feed everyone baby food everyday for the next 3 weeks to get their weights back up. Hopefully everything will get better but if anything happends at least I have a great vet. :D

Back