Nakkies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

Now that Clooney has finally passed (and thank heaven for that, poor thing...he was blind and going deaf on top of a bad URI...RIP sweetheart)...2 rats just feels lonely. I'm in no rush or anything, but I'd always been interested in getting a hairless. Is their care much different from a "haired" (?) rat? Where do you get them?

Hairless/double rex rats often show up in rescues, as with any other, and some breeders do work in hairless also. TRUE hairless is rare, more often what you are seeing is double rex with very very little coat, often just a little fuzz around the face.

Hairless rats are pretty much the same as our furred guys. They are warm to the touch, and are prone to the occasional minor eye/skin issue.... ingrown hairs can get infected and look icky but often don't cause any more trouble than that. They do mark up a lot faster than our furred rats and often people think they are being beat up but they aren't, cagemate claws just slice them up faster since they have no hair to protect them.

Higher metabolism to help keep up their body heat might cause them to eat more. And having cagemates obviously helps with the body heat situation.

I have had eye problems with all of my nakkies/double rexes. Just something to consider. My vet has met them all.

Back