NAILS!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have trouble clipping your ratties nails?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

• Haven't tried

Results are only viewable after voting.

Syadaka

Hey guys.
Lately when I've been hanging out with my boys, I am starting to really notice their nails. They are so sharp that it's almost unbearable to stand sometimes. I've tried to clippy there nails down but I'm to nervous I'll hurt them because they never stay still long enough for me to do it!
Any ideas on how to get the nails trimmed down without clipping them?
thanks!

jorats said:
Some people will put a brick in the cage. If the rats climb it enough, it will wear it down some.
this is what I do, a brick from a newly built subdivision, or a nice big rock placed under their water bottle just so, so they've got to climb onto the rock to get it. The rock acts as a nail file, and keeps them trim!

When I want to trim my rats nails I use a nail file. I hold the rat close to me and gently file her nails like I would do mine. Sophee does extremely well when I do this and will let me do it for several minutes straight. Good luck :)

This group I have now are still young and busy so its not easy. The last trim they had was a real good one. The vet did it when they were knocked out for their spay :giggle: I roll them in a hand towel like a hot dog in a bun, pretend I don't hear any squeeling and clip with baby clippers. It's currently a two man job!

Maple said:
This group I have now are still young and busy so its not easy. The last trim they had was a real good one. The vet did it when they were knocked out for their spay :giggle: I roll them in a hand towel like a hot dog in a bun, pretend I don't hear any squeeling and clip with baby clippers. It's currently a two man job!

I try but they always yank their feet away lol!

Back