Nails like needles!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Jacoby

My rat has nails that are like little needles. She loves to groom me and is always pulling down my lip for my rodentistry session . She is very gentle and never rough. Last night when she was grooming me she grabbed my lip and her little nail got stuck in my bottom lip for a split second. Needless to say I now have a cut lip. Is there anything I can do to dull her nails a little bit?

walking on hard surfaces such as the floor while out playing in a rat safe play area will help wear them down.
Some people cautiously cut off the sharp tip with nail clippers but this can be dangerous as rats do not stay still and you could cut her toe. If you accidentally cut the quik in the nail then she will start to bleed so make sure you have supplies on hand to stop the bleeding and promote clotting

I guess that is the problem. My floor! I have a foam mat floor in tbeir room I do have ramps, and shelves made out of wood but I guess not enough to keep these nails dull. I would never attempt to cut them. I have wiggly young females. Thanks!

I hope they help
Just make sure they are low so if a rattie falls she will not be hurt

BTW, if you only have one rattie, you need to get her a friend because rats need to live with at least one other rat
See the Reference Thread for why (I can not copy and paste at the moment)
and also for reliable info on intros, and why girls need to be spayed for health reasons

Ok! I have two girls. Ivy and Holly :) I rescued them in December :) They are mom and daughter.

It is only Holly's nails that are needle sharp (which is why I only mentioned her) Ivy's nails are fine.

Back