Nail clipping?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a baby nail trimmer. But be warned - those little hooked nails grow back very fast if they don't have the opportunity to wear them down. I have to cut my rats' nails once a week...

I only trim nails when rats have health/mobility issues and their nails could lead them getting hurt. I use human nail clippers and only do the very tip. It may take a few days of trimming only a bit to get to a desired length.

Some rats will not stay still to have their nails trimmed. With those rats, I will keep trying at different times until I catch them in a moment when their more relaxed and cooperative. It's much to dangerous IMO to trim rats' nails if they are squirming.

I also have that nail file that Jo bought (I try to use it on my bunnies) but I think it may be too big for rats. You can always try putting a clean brick or two in the cage (underneath the water bottle is a popular spot) so that the rats nails get worn down more naturally and gradually, that way you can avoid trimming nails altogether.

Not all of my rats have sharp nails (I noticed babies are the worst) but I trim the nails of the ones that do as I have severe skin reactions just when they walk on me, when they scratch me it is atrocious. I use human clippers, only do this if you are capable of seeing the quick (kwick?) as nails can bleed a lot.

I trim the nails on the hind feet of older ratties as with loss of mobility, they are unable to keep them worn down.
It takes practice and a lot of patience.
Be very careful just to trim the ends of the nails, if you cut the quick it will hurt and bleed.
Thus it is important to have materials at hand to stop the bleeding.
I use nail clippers and only trim when necessary

Dazzle87 said:
quick (kwick?)

SQ said:

Quick!

I have only had to do it with older rats who have had a toenail go funky, when they start growing extra tough and curly. You only need to take off the very tip, I've never hit the quick on a rat. If you do hit the quick, it sucks and will probably make things harder in the future as they'll fight nail trimmings more, but it's not the end of the world. You can use styptic powder (made especially for this purpose) to stop the bleeding, and is something you should have in the house anyway if you have dogs especially. You can also use lots of pressure and flour or corn starch. Same rules apply if there is ever a minor toe injury where the nail gets ripped off. It bleeds like heck but looks worse than is and is really only temporarily distressing all around.

I've always clipped my rats nails, and have yet to cut the quick and make them bleed. It certainly takes patience and a bit of practice to get it right. Personally, I use small, slanted human nail clippers. The hardest part is dealing with squirmy rats, but I just take it slow. Eventually they get used to it and it gets better/faster. Best of luck to you! I'm sure if you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it :)

Dazzle87 said:
Moon said:
Dazzle87 said:
quick (kwick?)

SQ said:

Quick!
Thank you, my confusion was because of the product, which is apparently kwik not kwick anyway :laugh4:

Yup, Kwik Stop! I always spelled it that way because of the product too, as it was a pretty important item at my house when I was little (7 dogs!).

if they have a wheel in their cage, try putting mild sandpaper in there so it trims their nails without the hassle :) they do it on their own !

stormmidnight said:
if they have a wheel in their cage, try putting mild sandpaper in there so it trims their nails without the hassle :) they do it on their own !

I tried sand/gravel paper once (I think it was for this purpose, but intended for birds) but they just peed on it and shredded it instead of actually WALKING on it :roll:

The only nails I've had clip are the boys. I use a baby nail clipper and I do it when they are sleepy. I also give treats before and after to make it a positive experience. The same procedure is used on my dog and it works on the rats! heh heh heh

Back