my young rat seems to be paralyzed! stroke? aneurysm? HELP!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkkmypet

i apologize if i'm posting this in the wrong section or something, but i'm very worried right now and i just need some help with my rat.

the past couple days, but no more, my rat Naomi seemed a little "out of it". she wasn't really running around or climbing much, and when i picked her up, she was fairly affectionate but seemed as if i had just woken her up from a nap and she was only half-awake, not excited to run around all over my shoulders like usual.

i checked on my rats (Naomi and Tomo) tonight and was hoping Naomi would be more energetic today, but i was shocked and horrified to see her laying on the bottom of the cage motionless. i feared the worst... but when i examined her closer, she was moving her back legs as if she was running, but her top half was motionless. i picked her up off the floor of the cage and set her on a more comfy piece of fabric. she felt limp and saggy, like she couldn't move. i pet her for a while and tried to keep Tomo away, who kept trying to "wake up" Naomi and get her moving, but was causing Naomi to twitch around uncomfortably, like she was being hurt.

for now, i have Naomi in a separate, smaller cage (the one her and Tomo lived when they were small enough to fit through the bars of their larger cage). she won't accept food or water, though i haven't tried too hard to get her to eat or drink because she twitches when i touch her too much or in specific places. so i've just been petting her, adjusting her gently, etc... it seemed like her top half was paralyzed and she couldn't move her arms, but then i saw her grooming her ears with her hands as she laid in the cage. between her legs, her fur is all dirty. she hasn't been able to clean down there or stand up to pee. it's obvious that she's been laying down for quite a while. i wanted to lay her so she could pee on the ground and not into her fur, but she will only lay on her side.

Naomi is a black and white hooded rat, about 16 months old. i bought her July 6, 2007. the only other problem she's had was when i first got her, when she was sneezing a lot in her new cage. i changed the bedding she used (although it wasn't cedar or pine or anything like that to begin with), and she seemed to be better. i think it was really just that she needed to adjust to the environment, since she had lived in a pet store all her (short) life before that. she's generally been a healthy and energetic pet rat, and i love her.

please help. i'm thinking that she had a stroke, but she's fairly young... so maybe it was an aneurysm? i'm not sure. i don't know too much about rat health like this, because i've never had problems with my rats before.

it's 12:44am and i've been up worrying about this. i'm not sure if she'll survive the night, not to mention me being at school until 4pm... i'll check responses whenever i get the chance, though. i'm hoping that whatever the problem is, it can be cured, or it will go away on its own. i don't want to lose my dear Naomi, and i'm sure Tomo will be incredibly sad if her sister rat Naomi dies... :(

so please help! thank you in advance.

-Mei

Hi, I'm so sorry your poor sweetie is going through this... it sounds like it could be neurological, it's not unlikely at 16 months for a rat to have a pituitary tumour or even stroke. There really isn't much you can do other than love her extra.

I don't have anything to say really other than I'm very sorry and just know that she appreciates all the love you're giving her right now and everything you're doing. Like Jo said, just be there for her and comfort her. It almost sounds like a seizure- is it constant, or on and off?

If its a stroke or PT (pituitary tumour) you could go to the vet and get a steroid like oral prednisone...and also some baytril. The pred will reduce the inflammation in the brain and can help with recovery in the event of a stroke, or manage PT to a more comfortable level. The baytril will help against the immunity suppression that steroids induce.

You will now have to help her clean herself. She will need gentle wipes with a warm damp cloth or a shallow bath in the sink if she is unable to clean "below". Urine can cause urine scald and she could get vaginal infections if left dirty. You can lay her in your lap and scratch her back and shoulders since she cannot do it herself. You can also gently stick your pinky in her ear and rub...they get awfully itchy ears, and normally stick that hind claw in there for a good scritch, but cannot at the moment.

Is she able to eat and drink? You may need to syringe Ensure into her, or put down low dishes of baby cereal for her to lick up.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, but... it's too late. :sad3:
i checked on her this morning, and she wasn't moving at all. it's possible she was braindead even when i found her twitching last night. i wish i had done more to help her, but it was all so sudden. :( Tomo seems to be confused right now, she keeps wandering around the cage. looking for Naomi. mostlikely, i'll be buying another rat soon to keep Tomo company, because i know that rats aren't meant to be single pets. but for now, i'm just going to mourn the loss of my little Naomi, my first rat...

R.I.P. Naomi. October 13, 2008. :cry3:

Oh no! It seems so sudden. One of the phrases I've been developing for years is that Lady Luck doesn't like pet rats.

Do your best to keep your ratties and yourself happy. <=)

Back