My Tumour Boys...Percy, Twiggy & Toby update 7/24

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

So I have Leo on pain meds and his abdominal tumour continuing to grow...he's doing well though, bright and relatively active. Now I take out the Twiggmeister and was giving him cheek rubs where I found a thickened bit. Started feeling around and discovered a large mass under his ear, but it actually spreads under the jaw and into his neck. I keep thinking Maxillary Gland Tumor (is this right?)...poor older lad. I am going to put him on metacam to see if I can help shrink the tissues a wee bit, but its advanced and was very hidden. I took pics (under protest) but its incredibly difficult to see.

I tried to get my fingers around the top part of it
feb7Twiggysmass.jpg

You can see a little difference on that side here
feb7Twiggysmass2.jpg

7 days ago on Jan. 31st

jan31Twiggy2.jpg

jan31Twiggy1.jpg

Poor little bug-eyed boy. :sad3:

Poor boy..that sucks. Is it the parotid gland?
If it's a salivary gland, then you would think that it may be encapsulated, and possible to remove. Are you going to the vet's to have it evaluated?

Joanne said:
Poor boy..that sucks. Is it the parotid gland?
If it's a salivary gland, then you would think that it may be encapsulated, and possible to remove. Are you going to the vet's to have it evaluated?

It feels deep and invasive...unlike Zoey's tumour which was removed this one feels deep and nasty.

So I won't have it removed. Twiggy is an older boy, and I need to save my money for other surgeries that are more emergency.

Rodeo has something similar but his seems to also make it harder to breathe. His lungs are clear but his breath intakes are not.
We are keeping a close eye on him.

jorats said:
Rodeo has something similar but his seems to also make it harder to breathe. His lungs are clear but his breath intakes are not.
We are keeping a close eye on him.

I could see this causing issues with breathing with where it is located. So far so good for Twiggy. Sweet Rodeo. :sad3:

I second!!!!! That picture made me melt! SUCH a cutie!

Poor guy, is it possible to be treated with antibiotics? Or is it for sure a tumor.

I have an awesome diagram of rat salivary glands from anatomy class, but my scanner just decided it didn't want to work for me... I'll see if it has an attitude change later tonight.

crumbilina said:
I second!!!!! That picture made me melt! SUCH a cutie!

Poor guy, is it possible to be treated with antibiotics? Or is it for sure a tumor.

I have an awesome diagram of rat salivary glands from anatomy class, but my scanner just decided it didn't want to work for me... I'll see if it has an attitude change later tonight.

Oh that would be cool to see!!

He lives alone (aggressive little bugger with other rats) so an abscess is extremely unlikely and the firmness of the mass and how it wraps under his jaw is tumour-y. :undecided:

That looks just like Amy's lump, it's clear now it's a tumour and not an abscess. I wish there was something more that could be done in these cases.

Leo's tumour is even bigger, but on metacam every 2nd day, he is doing really well. He's bright, hops around on the floor, tries to pin his cagemates, still eating properly and happy.

feb8Leo2.jpg

feb8Leo4.jpg

feb8Leo3.jpg

feb8Leo1.jpg

feb8Leo5.jpg

Back