My Sweet Phoebe Nov 2008-March 2012

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

I never write memorials....as my grief for my pets is a very private thing. But it is with a very heavy heart I try and write this one....as I know there where a few people on here who loved her and would want to know that she has passed away.

She ate her bed time snack last night as usual...but when I went to give her breakfast she was curled up in her cozygloo with her best friend Griffin...she was already gone but still warm. My girl went as peacefully as she had lived....She had only ever been to the vets once..and that was to get spayed at 12 weeks...She was never on meds her whole life...

I acquired Phoebe and her sister Prue from the shelter I worked at....someone had called and said they had a baby rat they had rescued from a friends snake tank...could we (the shelter) take her in....when she arrived she had two babies with her...I am not sure why she didn't say she had two babies...When asked she said she had told the person on the phone that she had two...but I was the person on the phone....anyway I of course took them both.
Even though I had a full house of rat kids...I decided to bring the girls home to foster...and of course they never left. They were both tiny...around 6 weeks old...and so cute.
Phoebe was the biggest...a beautiful little agouti berk. She was so outgoing....and her and her sister soon fit in with my current group. Both Phoebe and Prue where very sweet girls...They were the ones I used to intro new rats to...they loved everyone and everyone loved them. Prue passed away at around 2 years old....but Phoebe was still going strong. She maintained her loving personality until the end... she could always be trusted to get along with anyone...babies and adults. As a youngster Phoebe was fearless...there was no wall to high to try and leap over. She was totally fearless.
Phoebe was a once in a lifetime kind of girl...she was extra special to me because she is the last of my first group of rats. She was with me through many losses...Piper and all her kids, Henry and Vinnie, Parker and Skidder ... I have no one left from that time...they are now all gone. And so as I grieve for the loss of my sweet Phoebe I grieve for each of them...all over again.
Good bye my sweet girl...who enjoyed every minute of everyday. You where a real inspiration to me....I love you and will miss you very much.

When I first got Phoebe and her sister..
Pheobe.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

Her and her sister as beautiful young girls
DSCF0099-1.jpg

with my first group...Piper, her babies, Henry and Vinnie.
DSCF3405.jpg

two more where added to that group
Skidder
DSCF4465.jpg

and Parker
DSCF4468.jpg

she was like a mother to the two new babies...

Here she is with a few of her family members. This was a great group of 16 rats....she was the last from this group.
DSCF4545.jpg

DSCF9167.jpg

My sweet girl...getting older but still very beautiful
DSCF8269.jpg

My sweet girl before she got HED...it was in early stages here
DSCF9154.jpg

At the end of her life she no longer had any use of her back end...but she still enjoyed her life and LOVED her cozgloo....this was one of the last pictures I took of her. My sweet girl I wish I had taken many many more....
DSCF1603.jpg

I know I don't have a way with words as many of my rat shack friends do when writing memorials....but I tried to express my love for Phoebe...how very special she was and how I hope she is now very happy reunited with all her friends...and jumping from cloud to cloud. See you again. Love mom.

It is a beautiful memorial. Shows what a lovely life she had. Hugs to you and rest well pretty girl.

Velma I am so sad to hear that sweet Phoebe is not longer with you. She was truly a lovely girl and she will be missed. Rest will sweetie. :heart:

I am so sorry to hear your lovely old lady has passed on to the bridge. I am so glad that she had a wonderful life, and slipped quietly away, happy and content to the end. I know what you mean about mourning the whole group - my Tia held the same significance...
:hugs:

Phoebe was so wonderful. I knew this day had to come soon, but how I wished it wouldn't.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your precious memories of her with us. She had a full and happy life, and she was miraculously healthy. So lovely so see pictures of her back in the happy days with Piper and her family.
(((hugs))) to you.

Your love for Phoebe came through very clear in your tribute and was captured in your pictures!! :hugs: I'm so sorry for your loss!! One day the memories will make you smile without tears....RIP Phoebe! The Bridge just received a special social butterfly!

Your memorial was just right Velma. She was wonderful all during her life, and I am very sorry to hear she left you but thrilled it was in such a quiet peaceful way.

I saw your memorial the other day but decided if I didn't read it, it wouldn't be true. I was one of her admirers from afar and as sad as I am having never known her, I am sure your ache is 100 times more. ((hugs))

Back