My Strange Addiction: Hairless Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the creepy music? like it's a scary addiction to have?? the women and the Rats are portrayed in such a stupid way, cruel way. such tiny cages! hopefully they're out and about a lot. And she can't afford them? why does she have them then??

Well, let us know what the rest of the show was like!

Argh! Rat with massive tumor on face! And you know, if they're eating plain pasta and junk food, and she's getting evicted because she's jobless, they get NO vet care. Thank you TLC, for avoiding the real issues and adding to the stereotype that rats are creepy pets that only freaks own.

Yeah, chocolate cupcakes?!

I hate how they make it sounds so horrible to have rats sleep with you. It is no different then having a cat or dog sleep with you. And then they talk about the possibility of having a bite and infection... What if your cat or dog bites you? How clean do you think their mouths are? They lick their butts too!

MomRat said:
Argh! Rat with massive tumor on face! And you know, if they're eating plain pasta and junk food, and she's getting evicted because she's jobless, they get NO vet care. Thank you TLC, for avoiding the real issues and adding to the stereotype that rats are creepy pets that only freaks own.

Exactly. They're making it out to be that having rats as companion animals is the issue and not the way this woman is keeping them. So sad and annoying. (I have this vision of my husband's cousins watching this episode and thinking this is how I am and how I keep my rats and it is so NOT.)

I want to watch this episode just to have something to vent my anger at. TLC is famous for not focusing on the important stuff. and stereo typess. ugh.

Though I was a bit sad during that preview when the women said she needed to get rid of them and the old women began to cry. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. However I agree, but not for her sake, I only care about he poor little rats : ( those cages aren't big enough for 2! let alone however many she has int here, however they appear to be allowed to just run around.

And when the daughter said " Who is addicted to rats?! It's not normal" All I could think was " Then I wouldn't want to be normal!"

She feeds them chocolate and pizza?! Uh dude.... Not even humans are supposed to eat that stuff all the time! What happened to good old fashioned lab blocks?

I get it. I understand what drives people to have 55 rats. I've felt how comforting it can be to isolate yourself from people and just rely on your animals for companionship. But it's not healthy. And the animals don't benefit from your isolation, either.
I hope she gets help.

Eugh, I'm watching it now. They are sooo cute though.
It is soooo annoying how they keep focusing on the concept of having rats for pets as the problem, not the fact that she had way more than she could properly care for.

Seriously, how many people have died from a pet rat scratch? Yet they had that doctor saying "yep, you could die."
And it really bugged me that no one suggested the daughter try understanding, for a second, why her mom might love these ratties.

I honestly don't think this is qualified as an "addiction".
This belongs on Hoarders more than My Strange Addiction.
This episode ruined that show for me, I used to love laughing at the crazy lady who ate Comet because she wanted to feel clean.

And how the HELL could you die from a rat scratch?
Someone answer me that, please.

ZoeHale said:

Rat bite fever is a real thing. It is caused by an infected rat's bodily secretions getting into a wound in a human. Whether the wound was made by the rat or something else, if the secretions (urine, saliva, etc) get into the wound this infection could develop and in some cases it can be life threatening. You and I both know that, although rats are clean, they like to "mark" their human with little streaks of urine lol. So it is possible to get urine into a scratch that was accidentally made on an arm.

The chances of getting this from a PET rat? I doubt it would be high or even close to! Pet rats intake is regulated, what they come into contact with is regulated.

It is a real possibility, I just don't think the chances of getting it from pet rats is high enough to say to her that she could die.

I want to know what the call of an injured animal was that came from her house causing all the rats to be removed....

I never got to see this, and the link to watch the whole show online that someone posted a few posts back wont work for me :(

Ratty Momma said:
I never got to see this, and the link to watch the whole show online that someone posted a few posts back wont work for me :(

You may have to download the player for it to work they give different links where to watch it but use a program like divx web player(i think its called)
if you see here http://www.vidxden.com/vmi71r54eagt/my. ... m.avi.html under the player there is

"Having problems watching this video?
No Player? Download the new version of DivX Web Player.
No Sound? Download the new version of AC3 Filter.
Video Starts and Stops? Pause it, and come back to it in 5-10 minutes."

Download the player and the AC3 filter.

and you may also need a codec from here http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec ... wnload.htm (i always took the full one).

ZoeHale said:

If they carry the bacteria that causes rat bite fever, they can infect you and it can be fatal. It's not common though and it's treatable, although fairly serious.

lilangel said:
Ratty Momma said:
You may have to download the player for it to work they give different links where to watch it but use a program like divx web player(i think its called)
if you see here http://www.vidxden.com/vmi71r54eagt/my. ... m.avi.html under the player there is
and you may also need a codec from here http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec ... wnload.htm (i always took the full one).

Hey, this is probably an easier way: http://www.megavideo.com/?d=W5UDD6IR
That's a link to a flash (like youtube) version of it.

Back