My silly Lily a difficult case: RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbilina

I need some ideas about what could be wrong with silly Lily. She is acting... off and I cant think of anything that it could be. My vet is in the same boat, he has no ideas but we both know there is something "up". Figured this might be the best place for advice so if anyone has ANY ideas, put them out there, they are certainly welcome.

Lily is a 27 month old unspayed female. She has had respiratory issues all her life and therefore has been on and off antibiotics pretty much all her life (say every 3rd-4th month of her 27 months, combinations of baytril, clavamox, doxy, zithro). In the summer time (2012) she developed a nasty respiratory noise which actually sounds a lot like a pigeon. Back in the summer we treated her and the noise would go away. In November the noise returned and we put her on a combination of baytril, doxy and zithro along with theo to hopefully help her breathing. In early December we added prednisone because she was having a couple issues (breathing again). On the combination of Baytril, doxy, zithro, theo and pred she is stable and has been stable for a few weeks - noise is still there but I think it is a permanent thing. Now, you have to understand that Lily isn't a "normal" respiratory rat. She seriously runs on her wheel - you know the bounding kinda run. During her runs, she will be gasping. I'll skoot her off the wheel and she would look at me, gasping but fine, as though I took away her favourite toy. As soon as I leave she is back on it. So, I don't think that this respiratory issue is something that is bugging her even though it is obviously effecting her ability to breath. Her nail beds, gums, tongue, etc are a healthy shade of pink so her blood is being oxygenated properly.

Recently she has stopped a lot of her running - her breathing is no different, the meds have kept her stable and I watch her like a hawk so I would notice. Problem is her coordination is... off. She also has a head tilt which tilts her to her left. She passes the cheerio test perfectly fine except she holds her right back leg behind her and eats over her left front leg arms still up and no clubbing/dropping. Its strange and I have tried to get a picture of her stance but gave up after multiple attempts. She seems off, she bumps into things, she will put down the puff and forget it is there, she falls off shelves, she test nips my fingers all the time and she never used to do this... I feel like the symptoms scream inner ear and/or pituitary tumour but she has been on antibiotics for months and she is on a steroid. Both these are the treatments for the diagnoses that I have come to. I have also smelled her ear an have found no abnormal smalls, nor is she scratching that ear or irritated by it in any way.

An abscess could have developed after the prednisone because of prednisone's effect on the immune system. The abscess wall could be too think for the antibiotics to penetrate BUT the abscess would have had to start right? So if it was already seeded before the prednisone, then couldnt the antibiotics penetrate the abscess wall then, before it started to grow out of control? I don't know…

Does anyone have any ideas? Im seriously at a loss here. I don't even know what to try, I think I have tried everything. I really don't think it is a PT because it doesn't fit. Its almost like a different kind of co-ordination issue then what you see with a PT. Its very difficult to describe...

There's a moment where I read this that it sounded like she was blind, bumping into things, nip testing, falling off? Also it just sounds like a bit of age on her end, but it also sounds like an ear infection or maybe she might have had a stroke at one point or another... I'm not sure at all, there's so many varibles related to what it could be after reading from other rattie illness experiences... But I'm no help, I'm no expert, never experienced most of these issues :( I hope someone here is able to help.

Or phenmonia? That was the sound my baby Techno made as he became even worse, but his was defiently phenmonia as our vet said, but you already stated she's on antibiotics. What about Neb thearpy? :( poor little thing i'm so sorry you two have to go through this

I had a rat that made awful noises her entire life. Meds only kept her from getting worse but didn't make her better. Like I said to jenny in chat, there is a point in the video where Lily pulls to tear the food but other than that, she seems fine. I think just keep an eye on her and see if any more PT symptoms develop, if it's anything else neuro, you're ether treating for it or there's not much you can do. You *could* try Chlorpalm in case she's got an ear infection but then her breathing may get worse.

I'm not worried about her breathing at all. This is actually baseline for her. Nothing with her breathing has changed, its her co-ordination and balance that has changed and has me worried. Her breathing never stopped her from running on her wheel, but this co-ordination thing has so it's the one to worry about.

I decided after talking with Shelagh to up her prednisone back to midrange instead of low range. Dr. G said that if she regressed to increase it again, but he was talking about breathing. Im sure he will tell me to increase it again when I express these concerns to him. If there is an improvement we'll put her on the bromocriptine and see if that works.

I just wish I knew what was actually wrong.

ETA: I could try chlorpalm... I just don't know if it is worth adjusting the antibiotics since these seem to be working.

I had a girl do that with balance and coordination... we chalked it up to senility. She was 45 months old at the time. It was exactly like how you describe, wobbly at times, bumping into things, not seeing where the end of the shelf was, sometimes she wasn't sure she was hungry until the food was shoved in her mouth. Loki passed of old age, she had nothing wrong with her. Her lungs were clear though, not like your Lily. Lily, if her breathing was getting worse but you say it's not I would have thought perhaps her main artery in the neck were blocking and so lack of blood flow to the brain. Kind of like artheriosclorosis. In people artheriosclorosis gives you shortness of breath, confusion at times, being in a foggy state but no pain or real struggling to breath.

I think I'm going to have to attribute this to old age similar to what Jo mentioned. She doesn't seem to be getting any better with the increase in pred... plus, I'm still not convinced that it is a PT - she can eat amazingly well for an animal that uncoordinated. This morning, she was sitting on the lava ledge and I gave her a puff. She got excited and lost her balance and landed in the hammock that I had placed under her ledge.
This is how she ate her puff:

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

ETA: Thanks for the well wishes too!

crumbilina said:
I think I'm going to have to attribute this to old age similar to what Jo mentioned. She doesn't seem to be getting any better with the increase in pred... plus, I'm still not convinced that it is a PT - she can eat amazingly well for an animal that uncoordinated. This morning, she was sitting on the lava ledge and I gave her a puff. She got excited and lost her balance and landed in the hammock that I had placed under her ledge.
This is how she ate her puff:

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

ETA: Thanks for the well wishes too!

What an endearing girl! You can tell she has personality :wink2:

Looks like it is a PT after all. Just a very very strange presentation. The thing that still bothers me is that she doesn't seem confused like my previous PT ratters have been... eh well...

Ive had her on bromocriptine for a little over a week and there is no improvement.
She is also on pred, and that doesn't seem to be helping so I'm going to switch her over to Dex because Mia has done much better on dex then on pred.

Cross your fingers!!!

So, Im still not convinced that it is a PT. She didnt respond to bromo, nor is there much or any change on dex. I took her off ALL meds to see how she was doing and she has remained stable.
I have NO idea what is going on with this girl! She can easily eat while perched, but will sometimes fall (see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJoTTEb ... e=youtu.be)

>.< I have no idea. None.

Poor girl is losing weight though. Her cagemates steal food from her all the time. When i syringe feed her food she gobbles it down so she still eats, as long as no one steals it... or she doesn't forget about it. I cant just leave a dish of food in the cage either because she can't eat the wet food in a dish. I have to syringe it to her. If the dish is in her cage she will eat a bit, forget its there, then plough through it and when she gets the the other side, she realizes her paws are wet so she will eat off the food on her paws. I think a lot of that has to do with her breathing though. As you give her more and more food her breathing gets noisier and noisier. Other then the thinning she is doing well.

Could be vestibular?
Is she a little swollen on her right side? cheek.
My Butter Bean started to lose weight and then I noticed his teeth were crooked and then he started to swell on one side of his face. My vet is pretty sure he has a molar abscess. With all of this, his lungs just went nasty. The stress of the not being able to eat properly has sent him into full blown respiratory disease.

Back