My ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

Well, since I haven't been on here for a while it's time to introduce my current ratties. After my precious Sophie passed away in March 2009 I fostered several rats for CPR which all got adopted. Then I took in Sunshine (she had lost her cagemate) and she was alone for a while (I was trying to find a friend for her). When we took in 3 boys one of them started biting. 2 of them got adopted but biter boy was unadoptable. I felt so bad for him so I decided to take him. Several intros with Sunshine failed miserably. So I had two cages with 2 lonely rats. Then the rescue got in two boys which I took home. The first few intros didn't go so well but I didn't give up... and it paid off: the trio has been living together for quite a while now.
I had to put Moonshine to sleep last Saturday. Rest in peace my little bitter boy :(

Sunshine used to be very skittish in the beginning and would squeak and leap out of my hand. Now she is the sweetest girlie. We often enjoy quality time together - I pet her and she bruxes and boggles.
Here are Sunshine, Typhoon and Blizzard:

Sunshine.jpg

Typhoon is such a busy man - and a spaz and a little bully
Typhoon.jpg

Blizzard doesn't like to be picked up. When I do, he freezes and I can feel every single muscle tensing up because he thinks I can't pick him up this way
Blizzard.jpg

Such adorable babies! Keep working on your Blizzard man. I can't wait to introduce my new rattie to Matilda. <3

Blizzard looks like a big boy! I miss having boys, they're just so squishy :heart: :heart:

I'm sorry about your losses, it's never easy to lose a Pipsqueak, but it's great to hear that you've been fostering and giving those babies that need a good place to recooperate some excellent care! :thumbup:

I have to agree with trihkal, they are awfully cute. I think Blizzard will relax more when he knows you aren't going to hurt him. Maybe you could feed him something he has to eat from your hand so he's more comfortable with it?

Poor guy! my hairless guy did that freeze for a bit but he stopped after a while. Some of my boys do not like having their feet off the ground. Lovely group of ratties!

Ohhh lucky little ratters...sorry about your biter boy. :(

Glad to hear about new babies for you. :D

I can give you a tip for Blizzard that I learned. He may not like being grasped...try this strange method of "stem and stern". I literally use just a couple of fingers under their chest from the front and their back end...and lift...weirdly enough, the rats that hated being grasped when picked up would just stay still and calm when I did this. *shrugs*

Sorry to hear of your loss but I'm glad to see you have added. I'm sure Blizzard will come round with a little more time.
Nice little group you have now. :D

Thank you guys! And thanks Shelagh for the advice. I'll try your technique!
Well, I had to go to my vet with Sunshine and she told me that we (Carolina Pet Rescue) have gotten in two dumbo girls. After she was done with work we drove to her house and I took the two girls with me. Please meet my two new additions Snowflake and no name yet. I am trying to stick to my "weather theme". So I got Sunshine, Typhoon, Blizzard and Snowflake. I just need a new name for her. Any ideas?

DSCN5108.jpg

DSCN5118.jpg

I would say Hurricane but thats like Typhoon, or Twister? Ash Cloud maybe, or Storm(y), Midnight, oooooh I KNOW!! I like this one: Eclipse :D

They look beautiful, good luck to you with them!

Back