My rats tumor ruptured...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grace James

My pet rats tumor ruptured and I don't know what to do. She is a female rat with the tumor in her groin area. It is around half of the size of a baseball. I have been unable to get her to a vet and am still unable to do so. The spot where it ruptured has already scabbed over and i found little blood in her cage. I have read many threads on rat tumors and tumors rupturing. Most suggest waiting it out if i am unable to get to a vet but I am quite anxious. She doesn't seem like her normal self. She is moving less than normal and is being more clingy. As soon as I set her down she ran over to me to pick her up. She doesn't seem hurt but I am not quite sure. I really don't know what to do and would like some advice. She's my first pet rat.

How long has she had this tumour?
How old is she?
Pictures please
did it have a dark spot on it before it ruptured?
Is it possible that it is an abscess and not a tumour? http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/abscess.php

If it is a tumour, she needs to be taken to a good vet (with the experience and knowledge to treat rats) immediately and humanely put to sleep to prevent further suffering, unless the vet feels that she is a candidate for surgery to remove it.
- Most vets do not know how to humanely put a rat to sleep so pet rat owners must make sure it is done properly and stay with their rat if at all possible. The rat is given the gas/oxygen mix. When deeply unconscious to at least a surgical level (vet will need to test eye reflex and gently pinch toes to test reflexes), then the rat is injected. The rat is kept unconscious with the gas/oxygen mix until dead

Signs of pain in rats : http://ratguide.com/health/basics/signs_of_pain_in_rats.php

I sent lilspaz68 a message and hopefully she will soon respond as she will know what, if anything you can do

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/mammary_tumor.php
You can try posting to the facebook group Real Rat Lovers Want to Know

She's 19 months old and has had the tumor for roughly around 3 months. I didn't notice a dark spot around her tumor and couldn't find one when I just looked at her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She's acting more normal and eating regularly. She hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure this is a tumor.

Sadly, tumours are a big reason why rats need to be put to sleep. If this tumour is now rupturing, it might be time to make that decision. She must be in a lot of pain. but if it's an abscess, it can be drained and cleaned out. It's hard to say when we don't see it.

My pet rats tumor ruptured and I don't know what to do. She is a female rat with the tumor in her groin area. It is around half of the size of a baseball. I have been unable to get her to a vet and am still unable to do so. The spot where it ruptured has already scabbed over and i found little blood in her cage. I have read many threads on rat tumors and tumors rupturing. Most suggest waiting it out if i am unable to get to a vet but I am quite anxious. She doesn't seem like her normal self. She is moving less than normal and is being more clingy. As soon as I set her down she ran over to me to pick her up. She doesn't seem hurt but I am not quite sure. I really don't know what to do and would like some advice. She's my first pet rat.
I have 2 pet rats, almost 2 yrs old. One developed a lump on in her right armpit area a few months ago. I took her to my vet who sent me to an exotic animal vet in Tampa. He examined her and said it was a tumor. The cost to remove it would be $1300 -$3000. Although he held (and snuggled) her the whole time he talked to me, he recommended not doing surgery because 1) the expense compared to her short remaining lifespan and 2) the surgery would be extensive because the tumor was connected to bone and would likely result in amputation of her leg soon after. He said to bring her back if it starts to give her any problems and he would gladly do the surgery. She's been fine, still playful and very active, but the tumor is now half of the size of her body and her sister now has one in the same spot that grew MUCH faster. I'm retired and can't afford to spend $2600 - $6000 so, a few weeks ago, I called the only "rat rescue" I could find in my area and they offered to take them in. After I hung up, I looked at their web page and saw their photos. The rescue is in their home and they have cage after cage of boas, pythons, etc but not one rat. I can't help but wonder if my babies would be snake food! What a horrible way to die! This morning, I got up and noticed that one of the rat's tumor has opened. I am now forced to make the decision I've been dreading for months. I called my vet and she explained their euthanasia process (which is VERY humane) and said i could be present and can hold them for the injection, once they're asleep. I've scheduled them both for euthanasia on Thursday and will bring them home for a proper burial. I'm spending the next 2 days snuggling with them and letting eat every single nectar pod and treat in my cupboard if they want. 😪

Back