My rat's penis is swollen.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pit

Cole is a little over 2 years old and I got him from Petsmart. His penis is out of the foreskin, swollen, and a purplish red. I've never had this happen before so if someone could guide me through what to do that would be nice. It's just stuck there and won't go back in.

1450225510010572689589.jpg

Last edited:
My 2 months old rat is having this same issue and the vet has not got back to me yet..what do i do?

Please read the previous replies
including the link lilspaz68 provided
and http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/paraphimosis.php

Thank you for replying. The vet finally got back to me and gave me some more antibiotics and told me to use sugar to help reduce and inflammation and then keep his penis lubed up and try to reinsert it. She did say that he may repeat this issue and may need neutering down the road. Hopefully, this is only a 1 time thing.

Paraphimosis occurs when there is internal swelling pushing the penis out of the body. In Goli's case it was inflammation from his neuter. Other times it could be an infection, or even a mass/tumor pushing it out. If it's only out a little and your boy isn't frantically licking it, it often will go back on its own. Sugar is only good when it's really swollen, so your best bet is to give infant ibuprofen, and lube it up with KY jellyband try to wheedle it back in.

My boy Baby had the same thing, my vet had me try the sugar (that got licked off immediately), ky lubing, cotisone cream, and metacam, nothing resolved it until after my vet neutered him. During the neuter the vet was able to "fully" inspect and manipulate the penis, it was fully capable of going back into the shieth, it just would not stay there. About 6 days post neuter, it finally decided to stay "in" but the very tipy tip still pokes out a bit. I dunno if he is just well endowed or what, but its better now. Before it was so far out there that he kept scraping it on everything and leaving a penis blood trail through the cage. During the whole endeavor he was able to urinate normally, no blood in the urine.
20180322_191514.jpg
20180507_225040.jpg

Back