My rat's just been admitted, please read, need help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68 said:
Micky93 said:
So, little man has been very sleepy still but more himself today. He managed to eat some scrambled egg last night even though he was really out of it, and I can see he ate some of his dry normal food during the night, which I'm pleased about. I can also see that he has had a good drink throughout the night, and just saw him have another one this morning.

However, I just went to clean the 'wounds' for the first time today, and already they are both starting to scab over and are filled with thick, almost solid, pus. I don't know what to do :sad3: I managed to get a small amount out, but struggled to keep him still enough on my own poor thing. Will have another go later when someone is here to hold him. Does anyone have any experience of burst abscess', wounds etc that seem to fill with this pus quickly continuously? Any help please :sad3:

How did your vet tell you to clean it out? I flush with isotonic saline twice a day. Abscesses will keep producing pus and need the scabs softened (damp warm compresses) and removed so you can continue to flush the cavity.

Did they send you home with pain meds as well as the antibiotics?

No pain meds, which I was a little surprised at tbh. Might give them a ring and see if they will let me go in and pick some up.

They didn't really tell us 'how'. The first time it burst we watched her clean it out with a cotton wool bud but that's the only thing we've got to go on.

Will this work?:
1. Place a warm damp tea towel/flannel onto the 'scab' until softened, at which point should it be easy to remove with cotton bud?
2. Clean out with cotton wool bud and saline solution (boiled water left to cool, pinch of salt).
3. Use a syringe filled with saline solution to squirt into both wounds to flush any lose blood/pus out? (Assuming this is what you mean, but never been shown how to do this).

Any tips/help would be deeply appreciated, feeling way over my head right now :sad3:

Here's a picture of the little guy that I took this morning before attempting to clean it out. You can almost see the soft scab that's formed over it. You can't see the one behind his ear though.

Can you please take a pic so we can see both scabs? It still looks like ZGT (if you check my thread with Dusty, you will see the more updated pics that look almost identical). :sad3:

With any abscesses they should be flushed once its lanced, and it doesn't sound like your vet did.

Soften the scab, remove it or make sure you can get under an edge to get the syringe in. Make up a warm isotonic saline solution (you can google it) or buy pre-made saline rinse or the little packets (I use these) and using a medicating syringe, flush gently at first, then more forcefully. The saline will flush out the liquid pus, while softening and breaking down the cheesy nasty hard pus. Do this twice a day.

If your vet refuses to give you metacam or any pain meds, then you will need to pick up infant liquid ibuprofen (not sure what you can use in the UK) which is not as good but better than nothing.

Here is Dusty's more recent pic...

IF it is ZGT then the infection on top fo the tumour just burst out of 2 places. Was there a lot of blood or just pus when it burst at the vets?

lilspaz68 said:
Can you please take a pic so we can see both scabs? It still looks like ZGT (if you check my thread with Dusty, you will see the more updated pics that look almost identical). :sad3:

With any abscesses they should be flushed once its lanced, and it doesn't sound like your vet did.

Soften the scab, remove it or make sure you can get under an edge to get the syringe in. Make up a warm isotonic saline solution (you can google it) or buy pre-made saline rinse or the little packets (I use these) and using a medicating syringe, flush gently at first, then more forcefully. The saline will flush out the liquid pus, while softening and breaking down the cheesy nasty hard pus. Do this twice a day.

If your vet refuses to give you metacam or any pain meds, then you will need to pick up infant liquid ibuprofen (not sure what you can use in the UK) which is not as good but better than nothing.

I will go and try to get a photo to show you.

What size syringe would you recommend? I know it sounds stupid but there are a few different ones you can buy, and have no idea what is the ideal amount of saline you should be using to flush out.

So do you not wipe around with the swab to remove the pus? Literally let the saline rinse flush do the work for you (if that makes sense?) We have some infant liquid ibuprofen, as have a little one. How much can you give that's safe until I can speak to the vet?

Thank you for all your help, it's been invaluable xxx

It's all mainly just pus when burst, not much blood even when fully cleaned out. There is of course some blood but not anywhere near as much as from the photo you posted of Dusty after having cleaned his out.

I managed to quickly snap a few photos, they don't show it very well but it's the best I can get, and he's just made a nest and settled down so didn't want to disturb him for too long. Quite graphic so will try and hide in a spoiler.

[spoil:2393jrpj]This is the frontal one, as in the other photo. (You can start to see the pus behind the scab). If you look just below the ear you can start to see the other one.

This is a close up (very graphic) one of the one behind his ear, although from this angle of the camera it looks more below.
[/spoil:2393jrpj]

I am so very sorry, but I think from those pics ZGT is back on the table. ((hugs))

I think that is one issue and has invaded deep into the tissue and is bursting out all over. I was really hoping someone bit him and caused this but it doens't look like it.

lilspaz68 said:
I am so very sorry, but I think from those pics ZGT is back on the table. ((hugs))

I think that is one issue and has invaded deep into the tissue and is bursting out all over. I was really hoping someone bit him and caused this but it doens't look like it.

It doesn't look good does it :sad3:

How much ibuprofen can he have and how often? Thank you again for all your help.

Micky93 said:
lilspaz68 said:

It doesn't look good does it :sad3:

How much ibuprofen can he have and how often? Thank you again for all your help.

the range for liquid infant ibuprofen is 10-30 mg/kg...if you give me an approximate weight on your lovely boy, I can give you a dosage. Its given every 4-6 hours, but it can be stretched further if you have to (most people are away from their home for more than 8 hours with school or work)

Its the reason we love metacam more, its once every 24 hours and safer for them by far

I'm so sorry you and your boy are going through this. Know that we are all wishing the best for you and that you can get him comfortable. Keeping a small glimmer of hope that you can get this infection under control...

I so hope that your vet will give you some Metacam for your baby. That looks like it has to be very painful. I will keep you and your boy in my thoughts and prayers. :heart: :hugs:

Just quick update:

Popped up to the vets and saw Chris the head vet whose fab and he gave me a full bottle of metacam plus a full bottle of hibiscrub to use to clean and flush the wounds, assuming this is good? He said if I have any trouble or worries to ring any time and he will go over it step by step with me over the phone, so I'm really chuffed.

Picked up some more soft flannels to use as hot compress on scabs and for him to snuggle up to.

Will update later after cleaning again.

Thank you everyone for your comments and help xxx

Forgot to say, the hibiscrub has been prescribed for 1 part hibiscrub to ten parts water diluted. Obviously wouldn't put it on neat.

Opinions please?

Micky93 said:
Forgot to say, the hibiscrub has been prescribed for 1 part hibiscrub to ten parts water diluted. Obviously wouldn't put it on neat.

Opinions please?

Hibiscrub is good :thumbup: Make sure to dose up the lad at least an hour before you work on him in the morning.

lilspaz68 said:
Micky93 said:

Opinions please?

Hibiscrub is good :thumbup: Make sure to dose up the lad at least an hour before you work on him in the morning.

How would you suggest using the hibiscrub? Chris said to dilute 1 to 10 and then using a cotton pad gently wipe and clean the wound. But should I use saline to flush it before using the hibiscrub, or use the hibiscrub then flush using the saline? It definitely needs a good flushing rather than just wiping so whats the best routine?

I don't know whether to give him a dose now for tonight's cleaning, or half a dose or none at all? I want to give him the metacam in the mornings so don't know if I give it tonight whether it'll be an overdose to then give it in the morning? What would you do? :?

Thanks again xx

I have never used the hibiscrub myself, but I would flush with saline, and then use the hibiscrub after if its anything like betadine. As for metacam, give him a half dose tonight then a full dose tomorrow. Did they say what dose to give him? His weight? The concentration of the metacam? (1.5 or .5 mg/ml)

lilspaz68 said:
I have never used the hibiscrub myself, but I would flush with saline, and then use the hibiscrub after if its anything like betadine. As for metacam, give him a half dose tonight then a full dose tomorrow. Did they say what dose to give him? His weight? The concentration of the metacam? (1.5 or .5 mg/ml)

hibiscrub is similar to betadine, it will cling on to the skin- so it seems best to use that after the flush
:thumbup:

Back