My rats are suddenly biting me!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenin

I have two male rats. They have always been sweet and would sometimes lick me but now they will give me lots of gentle nibbles and will sometimes tug at my fingers. Does anyone know why this is?

My rats do it to me all the time, I think they are just "grooming" you, and giving affectionate little nibbles ❤ You also might have traces of food or something tasty on your fingers lol

How old are your boys? Is it just different behavior or is it uncomfortable for you? If it hurts a little try a high pitched eep (not necessarily loud) to tell them in rat language that they are hurting you.

My rats do it to me all the time, I think they are just "grooming" you, and giving affectionate little nibbles ❤ You also might have traces of food or something tasty on your fingers lol
I thought that too but then I had one of my friends meet them and they did the same thing.

Yep just rude little baby boys that need to be taught boundaries. Think of it like a puppy mouthing you. Try the eeping. If you are playing with them eep and stop. An adult rat would teach them these manners but since you are their colony its up to you.

Yep just rude little baby boys that need to be taught boundaries. Think of it like a puppy mouthing you. Try the eeping. If you are playing with them eep and stop. An adult rat would teach them these manners but since you are their colony its up to you.
That makes sense I was just confused because they used to be so careful not to bite me.

Back