My rats are sick should! I keep them separate?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeisha

Hi guys, not sure how to use the forum but I'm after advice as a new rat mum. I've recently rescued 3 little babies they are 4-12 weeks,they are all sick, have seen the vet and are on antibiotics, the vet said to separate them but I'm not sure what to do as I don't have room to keep them separate for weeks. I also don't want to cause too much stress with handling as they are still getting used to me and the environment.

Hi guys, not sure how to use the forum but I'm after advice as a new rat mum. I've recently rescued 3 little babies they are 4-12 weeks,they are all sick, have seen the vet and are on antibiotics, the vet said to separate them but I'm not sure what to do as I don't have room to keep them separate for weeks. I also don't want to cause too much stress with handling as they are still getting used to me and the environment.
So sorry for the delay! Are they upper respiratory infections? If so you absolutely should keep them together, not apart as it causes more stress and the most common infection isn't contagious.

So sorry for the delay! Are they upper respiratory infections? If so you absolutely should keep them together, not apart as it causes more stress and the most common infection isn't contagious.
Thankyou for the reply, Yes they all have URIs, one of my girls has ended up to be pregnant so I have had to separate her for everyone's safety as she was getting aggressive, but I have the other 2 babies together still and all 3 have free roam together under close eye so i can stop any fights. Am I doing everything right?

It sounds like you're doing things right. Just check to be sure the medications they are getting are safe in pregnancy, and double check them to make sure they are all girls!

I'm fairly sure my other girl is also pregnant and I have set her up with her own space😞😞 Ive taken them off all the medication until I can speak to a vet. All 3 are definitely girls, they were pregnant before coming to me.
I have a 5 week old baby aswel who is going to be alone most of the time due to her sisters being mums, is there anything I can do to help the little one until things return to normal?

I'm fairly sure my other girl is also pregnant and I have set her up with her own space😞😞 Ive taken them off all the medication until I can speak to a vet. All 3 are definitely girls, they were pregnant before coming to me.
I have a 5 week old baby aswel who is going to be alone most of the time due to her sisters being mums, is there anything I can do to help the little one until things return to normal?
The best thing to do is to spend a few hours each with them so they don't get lonely and they *should* be okay until they can be reunited

Back