My rat train girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd update everyone, because she was a Rat Train girl - we had Fat Momma, aka Carn, put to sleep today. She was 672 g when we got her, the big pudge. We will miss her Rolli-polliness.

She'll be laid to rest beside her teeny daughter, Pint.

Midge is good. She has a big tumour, golf-ball sized on her underbelly. Doesn't stop her for a minute. She drags it up and down the stairs and into the hammock, there's no place she still won't go. She keeps it clean, and it has stopped growing. Since she ripped her stitches out three times after the last tumour removal, the vet was worried about removing this one, since the incision would be seriously big, and there's no way to keep her from ripping it apart. If it starts to really bother her, we'll re-evaluate.

you could put her in a ratty cast. i had to do that for chancey. its just a paper towel roll with a surgical sock over it and taped around his chest and neck then around his butt. if they had casting tape they could use that too. they can't bend to get at anything then and the cast would likely cover over the stitches anyway

i am very sorry to hear about carn though. its hard to lose them.

For her last tumour removal, she did have a little 'shirt' on that the vet made for her and wrapped her in it, but she tore it apart. It was that stretchy horse wrap stuff, but i don't think he used casting tape. I will ask him about it, for sure. It would be nice to remove it, if we can do it so she can heal safely. Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it.

if she can bend to reach it she'll chew it. here's a pic of chancey's improvised cast. he couldn't bend to get at anything. so he couldn't get it off and because it was taped down to his butt and around in a figured eight about his chest he couldn't wiggle out either. having it figured eighted around the back legs would be another and probably more effective idea to help stop backing out too.

100_2025.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2030.jpg

we had the sock on, then put him in the tube then taped the tube down at the neck adn around the arms, then again around his butt. if i had to do it again though i would go around the legs on the butt end too.

and he looks dopey cause he was. he had just had surgery adn was still kinda out of it. with it enough to show us that he needed to be kept from his stitches but still sleepy and mopey.

Back