My rat is losing weight rapidly and I’m not sure what to do/:

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raegan Mcclain

My albino rat Opal (she just turned one) has fallen quite sick, we took her to the vet and we were given medication to treat an upper respiratory infection. She’s stopped sneezing and wheezing but she still shakes every time she takes a breath/: she’s also started to click? I’m not sure how else to describe it…my fiancé pointed out that maybe it’s so noticeable because she’s so skinny, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I just got her some different high protein baby food and cottage cheese. Hopefully that’ll help her gain some weight back. She won’t eat anything solid, we have to entice her to eat off our fingers. Her behavior has changed as well, she’s become so much more jumpy, she runs away from us and even tries to jump out of our hands when we hold her. I can calm her down if I pet her but then she just lays there and won’t move/:

I don’t know what else to do. I feel like I’m watching her die right in front of me… any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

When they get jumpy like that, they are very very uncomfortable.
My suggestion is to go back to the vet and ask for chest x-rays to see if this could be congestive heart failure.
Congestive heart failure can sound like URI. Medications can be given for chf that they can reapond very well to if caught in time. Are her limbs blue and cold?
If it is uri still ask of nebulizing antibiotics is an option.

Another thing to consider because of her age is pneumonia(more likely than chf because she's only one though it is still a possibility) which would also require another trip to the vet to treat.

The right meds at right dosage should have taken effect by now...if it is indeed a respiratory infection. Did the vet give you a combo of Baytril (enrofloxacin) and Doxycycline? That's one first-line treatment for respiratory infections. Another, sometimes more potent, is azithromycin. Vets occasionally set a dosage too low for serious infections in rats. And if your vet prescribed Baytril alone for Opal's infection that may not be enough. Your description of her symptoms would seem to suggest either pneumonia/lower respiratory tract infection or (as Wolfgirl noted) some kind of heart disease. It is really worth pinning down which applies here, because the two conditions require entirely different meds. An x-ray can help with the diagnosis, or sometimes vets use diuretics as a diagnostic test because these meds can cause rapid (if temporary) improvement in cases of heart disease. An x-ray could also help rule out the possibility of tumours.
The Rat Guide offers great descriptions of symptoms/treatments/dosages for pneumonia here: Pneumonia – Rat Guide
and for heart disease here:
(cardiomyopathy) Cardiomyopathy – Rat Guide
(congestive heart failure) Congestive Heart Failure – Rat Guide
If Opal still hasn't improved on the meds, I'd make another hasty trip to the vet. Is your vet experienced with rats? If not it may be worth tracking down one with exotics training.
I hope dear little Opal is hanging in...she's so young for these kinds of problems.

I would also start giving very heavy foods that are liquid if possible. Can you find convalescence food anywhere? In my place they sell it at the vet for cats and dogs and it is a wet food (either powder or a can) that is super high in calories. This way it isn't hard to eat but she might gain back some weight. Other foods that help gain weight; mix in some coconut oil (not too much, it is also a laxative) or some ripe avocado (avoid skin and pit because poisonous!). I would feed porridge with honey and warm water as well. Baby foods from jars help too, or some overcooked rice that can be smushed. Just take care that the babyfoods don't contain any onions

When I have a kid who lacks appetite or is losing weight I give them either Ensure plus calories or Boost plus calories. When you open a bottle it's only good for 3 days in the fridge so freeze the extra in ice cube trays. Avocado is great.

My albino rat Opal (she just turned one) has fallen quite sick, we took her to the vet and we were given medication to treat an upper respiratory infection. She’s stopped sneezing and wheezing but she still shakes every time she takes a breath/: she’s also started to click? I’m not sure how else to describe it…my fiancé pointed out that maybe it’s so noticeable because she’s so skinny, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I just got her some different high protein baby food and cottage cheese. Hopefully that’ll help her gain some weight back. She won’t eat anything solid, we have to entice her to eat off our fingers. Her behavior has changed as well, she’s become so much more jumpy, she runs away from us and even tries to jump out of our hands when we hold her. I can calm her down if I pet her but then she just lays there and won’t move/:

I don’t know what else to do. I feel like I’m watching her die right in front of me… any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I just wanted everyone to know that I appreciate all the advice and well wishes. Unfortunately Opal passed away sometime in the night on august 2nd. We’ve been keeping a close eye on her sister onyx, my little sister has a rat so we put them together during the day, I hope it’s helping her. This loss has been devastating for us. She was just a baby, she should’ve had so much longer. I feel so guilty..like I could’ve done something more for her:/ I know she’s not in pain anymore and I know I did everything I could for her but it all just feels so wrong. I talk to her everyday..I see her in everything good I come across. I’ve lost rats before but nothing could’ve prepared me for a loss like this. My heart goes out to anyone that has been/is going through a similar situation. I love you Opal, I always will<3

Attachments

• 8BE66244-DB5E-4083-95F2-ADEE82DED439.jpeg
    8BE66244-DB5E-4083-95F2-ADEE82DED439.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 0
I just wanted everyone to know that I appreciate all the advice and well wishes. Unfortunately Opal passed away sometime in the night on august 2nd. We’ve been keeping a close eye on her sister onyx, my little sister has a rat so we put them together during the day, I hope it’s helping her. This loss has been devastating for us. She was just a baby, she should’ve had so much longer. I feel so guilty..like I could’ve done something more for her:/ I know she’s not in pain anymore and I know I did everything I could for her but it all just feels so wrong. I talk to her everyday..I see her in everything good I come across. I’ve lost rats before but nothing could’ve prepared me for a loss like this. My heart goes out to anyone that has been/is going through a similar situation. I love you Opal, I always will
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope everything is okay. I'll keep you, opal and onyx in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes. 💔😢

Back