My rat is depressed! What should I do to cheer him up?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's in hospital in an incubator, he will get infusion 3 times a day and he will get Galastop to treat the tumor. :) He won't get home until he can walk and eat at least liquid food. :)
:joy:
He's in good hands now, this vet really really knows what she's doing. :) She talked about the rats she treated and there were some who lived more than 1,5 years after the diagnosis. She owned some rats with PT too and they all lived at least half a year with PT and this medicine.
:toothy1: I'm so happy now. (and tired.. I was up all :sleepy:)

That's great I hope your rattie improves and the treatment works. Sorry you have to go through PT. Its suppose to be more common in girls, but I'm on my second boy with it and apparently its heritary cause my boy now is the son of my first PT boy... I'm glad you got him in for treatment so quickly. Best of luck and keep us posted.

That's great I hope your rattie improves and the treatment works. Sorry you have to go through PT. Its suppose to be more common in girls, but I'm on my second boy with it and apparently its heritary cause my boy now is the son of my first PT boy... I'm glad you got him in for treatment so quickly. Best of luck and keep us posted.

If you wouldnt say that it's PT he might be dead now. So a BIG thank you for you guys. :)
I have a friend who is a friend of this vet and she called her at nigt and in the morning (we went there 2hours earlyer) so that's why we could take him there so fast. :)
Ohh and good news: he's a littlebit better now. He's reactions are better. :)

Ohh and before all this things has happend I ordered a big amount of supreme science selective because of his overweight. Is this food ok for him if he will be able to eat by himself? It's a vegetarian food. He was supposed to lose weight because of his foot. Is it ok if I'll feed him some oxbow carnivour care too? Or should I avoid too much proteins? (I've read that too much protein can be a "cause" of PT) I would feed him oxbow nuggets but they are not aviable in Hungary.. :(

Last edited:
An ideal percentage of protein for adult rats is 14%. Check the nutritional breakdown but I'm willing to bet the carnivore is much higher.
As well, when a rat has a PT, they almost always have a problem holding and eating their food. I have always soaked their blocks in water to make a mash. This seems to help a lot.
I wouldn't worry too much about putting him on a diet. As the PT progresses and their ability to eat becomes more impaired, they will drop weight rapidly. I just discovered my girl Dixie has a PT and when I weighed her she had already lost 70 grams.
Good luck with your boy! I hope he bounces back quickly.

We've asked for autopsy to see if there's an infection.. my little boy will be so lonely.. I don't know what to do.. I don't want to adopt new rats now..

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
Have faith that you did everything that you could and he is in a great place now with no suffering. :)
Rats are incredible and loving animals, and although death is sad, especially for ones who you have bonded with so much, don't let that stop you from getting more! Their love and affection is so worth it even in the short time they live.

I hope that you are okay! Stay strong.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Its so hard to lose these guys they do have such special personalities. When we lost our heart rat Curley to PT it was devastating! I too thought he was just depressed do to another rat in his colony being sick, so when I realized he had PT it had been awhile and then we hadn't found the right vets and could not get any of the ones we went to to listen to us so we could not get him the medication he needed - so I felt I let my boy down and failed him. I promised him I would know next time and his passing wouldn't be for nothing - I was unfortunately able to keep that promise seven months later when his son Kona showed the signs of PT. Kona is improving because we learned from Curley. I know your boy's passing is breaking your heart and it will hurt for along time, but you have the knowledge now and you maybe able to help another rattie when they need you. We only have our furry friends for a short time, but in that time we can make such a difference in their lives and although it will hurt when they leave us we have to remember the positive side to rescuing these fuzzies.

:rose3: RIP sweet boy!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to say good bye to my sweet Chloe yesterday and it's so hard :( But as Ratacular said, they joy they give is so worth it.

I'm very sorry for Chloe. :(

Yes I've tagught about it and now I fell a little better.. They are so happy and cheerful little creatures and I would be so mean if I would stop keeping them just because their death hurts me.. They were all rescue rats. The one with the tumor is his belly was from a petshop. He was there because his owners didn't want him anymore.. he was desperet to get out of his cage when I stopped in front of it.. so I bought him. He was the smartest and most loyal rat I've ever met. Once he escaped into the garden (it's very big and looks exactly like a jungle) and I tought that we will never ever find him again. After I stopped searching for him and I concerned myself that he's gone, he just walked trough the door and looked at me like "I heard you were calling me, I'm here. Give me a treat, I've been a good boy."
And the one with pt.. he was a snakefood rat.. he was so tiny and scared when we took him home.. he was afraid of hands but he always took the treats we gave him. He became a biig faat boy but he was like a tiny baby in his all life. My old boy loved him and he loved bathing him but this little guy was crying all the time.. even when he was 700g, 1,5 times bigger than my old boy. :) He was always so funny and cute. He loved to lay on my neck like a scarf because he was too big to sit on my shoulder. Ohh and he hated our cat. If he saw him, he started to cry and did't stop it till the cat was there. Our cat was afraid of them, because the old one always wanted to climb up on his back or bath him and he didn't know what to do about it. :) They were so good friends of mine and I'll never forget them.
If I get new rats, they will be rescue rats. :)

Last edited:
After I stopped searching for him and I concerned myself that he's gone, he just walked trough the door and looked at me like "I heard you were calling me, I'm here. Give me a treat, I've been a good boy."

Oh that is so funny. Good for you for rescuing your rats. Sounds like you were able to give them a good, loving home.

I'm very sorry for Chloe. :(

Yes I've tagught about it and now I fell a little better.. They are so happy and cheerful little creatures and I would be so mean if I would stop keeping them just because their death hurts me.. They were all rescue rats. The one with the tumor is his belly was from a petshop. He was there because his owners didn't want him anymore.. he was desperet to get out of his cage when I stopped in front of it.. so I bought him. He was the smartest and most loyal rat I've ever met. Once he escaped into the garden (it's very big and looks exactly like a jungle) and I tought that we will never ever find him again. After I stopped searching for him and I concerned myself that he's gone, he just walked trough the door and looked at me like "I heard you were calling me, I'm here. Give me a treat, I've been a good boy."
And the one with pt.. he was a snakefood rat.. he was so tiny and scared when we took him home.. he was afraid of hands but he always took the treats we gave him. He became a biig faat boy but he was like a tiny baby in his all life. My old boy loved him and he loved bathing him but this little guy was crying all the time.. even when he was 700g, 1,5 times bigger than my old boy. :) He was always so funny and cute. He loved to lay on my neck like a scarf because he was too big to sit on my shoulder. Ohh and he hated our cat. If he saw him, he started to cry and did't stop it till the cat was there. Our cat was afraid of them, because the old one always wanted to climb up on his back or bath him and he didn't know what to do about it. :) They were so good friends of mine and I'll never forget them.
If I get new rats, they will be rescue rats. :)

Those are great stories and wonderful memories... all of ours have been rescues too. We all wish our babies could live much longer. I tend to look at their passing as they are making room for another homeless rat to experience the joy and love of a home that they had the fortune of having. Although I miss all our babies and still cry for them I have three other boys that I love dearly and wouldn't have had I not loved and lost my other sweeties...

Those are great stories and wonderful memories... all of ours have been rescues too. We all wish our babies could live much longer. I tend to look at their passing as they are making room for another homeless rat to experience the joy and love of a home that they had the fortune of having. Although I miss all our babies and still cry for them I have three other boys that I love dearly and wouldn't have had I not loved and lost my other sweeties...

So true.. I will never ever forget them, and this is why I have to rescue others. To make other rats as happy as they were in their life. :)
On tuesday I'll go to the shelter to ask about the adoption and I'll take my little guy too to check if he's healthy.
I'll also donate some stuff for them. (hammocks, bedding and food) The vet who's leading the organisation is the one who treated my boy with PT..

So true.. I will never ever forget them, and this is why I have to rescue others. To make other rats as happy as they were in their life. :)
On tuesday I'll go to the shelter to ask about the adoption and I'll take my little guy too to check if he's healthy.
I'll also donate some stuff for them. (hammocks, bedding and food) The vet who's leading the organisation is the one who treated my boy with PT..

That's a great tribute to your boy ♥♥

He was my boy with PT:
1507607_869722926391015_8975086541929983669_n.jpg

And my old boy who died on Monday:
10366082_866377356725572_7888646055983097106_n.jpg

Back