My rat Died, and I don't know why

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamienBlade

Just yesterday, my wonderful girl Frange died. Around three days ago, I noticed that she was incredibly thin. I could feel her bones, and she was incredibly light. She was eating, but I made sure to feed her more fatty/sugary foods, like honey. She didnt seem get any better, but was acting perfectly normal. I was planning to take her to the vet, as there are none I could take her to easily. I thought it was just her sister taking her food, at first. Suddenly, last night, I came home to find her unconscious; limp, breathing slowly and lightly, and completely unresponsive. Soon after, she died. Her stomach was large, though I assume its just more visible due to the lack of fat around it. It appears to be full of food. Or maybe its a tumor? She was around 1 and a half years old, and I did all I could to make her life a good one - but I don't know what killed her. Does anyone have any advice?

Just yesterday, my wonderful girl Frange died. Around three days ago, I noticed that she was incredibly thin. I could feel her bones, and she was incredibly light. She was eating, but I made sure to feed her more fatty/sugary foods, like honey. She didnt seem get any better, but was acting perfectly normal. I was planning to take her to the vet, as there are none I could take her to easily. I thought it was just her sister taking her food, at first. Suddenly, last night, I came home to find her unconscious; limp, breathing slowly and lightly, and completely unresponsive. Soon after, she died. Her stomach was large, though I assume its just more visible due to the lack of fat around it. It appears to be full of food. Or maybe its a tumor? She was around 1 and a half years old, and I did all I could to make her life a good one - but I don't know what killed her. Does anyone have any advice?
The experts will see your post & answer, but I did hear they can get intestinal blockage from eating what's indigestible. (The rats, not the experts.) You're obviously an awesome rat "parent," because you care. I know not knowing is hard. I feel sick to my stomach not knowing if my neighbor fed my new rat to a cat. I'm going to go back to looking for her now, wish me luck. :(

Yeah, I am afraid it might be an intestinal blockage. I had recently given them some old shirts to use as bedding, and to keep them warm in the cold (or as cold as Australia gets). And good luck looking for your rat - I hope they're OK.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It could have been some sort of cancer that was taking all of the nutrition that she was getting. Unless she had a history of eating fabric or other inedible things it would be hard to know for sure. You were doing everything that you could have and I’m sure she had a wonderful life with you!

RatsDrawBlood, good luck to you, I hope you find them and that they are safe and well!

And good luck looking for your rat - I hope they're OK.
RatsDrawBlood, good luck to you, I hope you find them and that they are safe and well!
It worked, you are both magic.
Heat to the rescue!
She ate bok choy, then she ate her food, then she drank water, then she looked for more treats, then she violently chased her cagemate round n round every which way as I've never seen before, like one big tornado of ratness with everything rattling. I thought the CN's poor welding would show up right then if ever, in a glorious love explosion.

Intestinal blockages from eating indigestibles are pretty rare in rats. Did you feel her belly? Was it round bloated and smooth like a ball? Or was it hard and lumpy? Or did you feel many lumps? The first one could indicate a closed pyometra (or massive infection in uterus that was unable to drain), the 2nd could be a mass in her belly, the 3rd could be masses in her belly, megacolon, a mass blocking up her digestive system (they bloat and can have diarrhea).
I'm sorry you lost your little girl :(

Yeah, I am afraid it might be an intestinal blockage. I had recently given them some old shirts to use as bedding, and to keep them warm in the cold (or as cold as Australia gets). And good luck looking for your rat
I hope you realize it was purely wonderful of you to provide warmth. I've heard of thready fabrics causing problems for tiny babies, but with grown rats the only way I've heard it can be a danger is if they'll get their neck caught in a hole or something (which is why stretchy fleece is so great for hammocks). Where lilspaz is asking you about masses you might have felt, I don't think she means the shirts you gave them, I always thought that something like this if it were an intestinal blockage in a rat who doesn't have pica, would sound like food that wasn't digesting for some reason or something else internally caused.

threads of any sort can hurt any rat. It gets wrapped tightly around a limb and cuts of the circulation causing tissue death, necrosis, possibly a systemic infection. We try to use only fleece if possible as a fabric as it doesn't have threads. But OLD hammocks with lots of holes in them should be thrown out, especially for oldies or sickies who won't have the strength to get them out of something. Its awful to come home to a rat stuck in the holes of their hammock, or dangling by a leg. :(

Back