My rat bit me while stuck

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharrant

I heard my ratty squeaking really loudly and frantically from his cage so I went to check on him. My ratty was caught by his leg in a thread in my cotton shorts that were in his cage. I picked him up and put him in my lap with my shorts. I could see his leg was purple. He bit me several times while I was trying to free him, and he drew blood. He would launch at me and try to bite me whenever I came close to him or the string. Once I had him free, I started massaging his foot and he started licking me/acting friendly again. He's been very friendly until this point, and is back to being loving again right now. His legs seems fine now, and has gone back to normal colour.

What I'm wondering is how do I move forward from this? Is this behaviour that I have to correct/why did he bite me? Does this mean he will bite my other rats?

logic.jpg

logic-in-room.jpg

He bit you because he was very frightened, trapped, and in pain - and he had been that way for awhile. It was a normal reaction.

I would not be afraid that he will bite anyone ever again, once he realised it was you, he started licking you.

But I would stop using cotton in the cage as he could have been seriously injured - if it had been around his neck he could have been killed

img-20160510-193527.jpg

baby.jpg

places.jpg

img-20170706-173720.jpg

Poor little guy. He's really lucky to have you and that you are able to rescue him from being stuck. I'm sure he feels really bad for biting you but I'm sure you know this already, it was all part of his pain and panic.

img-4776.jpg

img-4183.jpg

Back