My PT Girl Has Respiratory Issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

Hi everyone. Because rats can't get stuff wrong with them separately and not all at the same time, I am now also worrying over my Matilda.

She's developed some respiratory issues, and the past couple days I could hear her breathing, loudly and worryingly, in her sleep. Now I can hear her during the day too, and she has a very bad day today-- as if all of a sudden this PT is even fazing her at all(She's been on bromo and pred for it for 6 months now, and today is the first day I have seen her significantly worse in this whole time span).

The only meds I have on hand right now are metacam, prednisolone, bromocriptine, and a trimeth/sulfa suspension. I don't know if any of these will help her much(mostly the trimeth/sulfa), and I don't even have dark chocolate to give her or a nebulizer.

Getting her in to see the vet will be hard, I am completely broke and I'll have to borrow from mom again, who just agreed to lend me $500 for Oreo's operation, and Matilda's Bromo, a day ago. I think if I even ask she will yank her hair out. Saturday I am volunteering at the vet's, so I will BEEEEEG her to give me some bromo/baytril to fight this, Matilda has had respiratory issues before, without the $80 appointment. I wish they wouldn't all get sick at the same times...

I know exactly how you feel. I ask my vet about the dark chocolate thing and he said it does nothing for them and is in fact no good for them do to the cocoa content. I hope your baby gets better.

It's very upsetting, I know you're going through everything right now, too. :(

It's quite possible her respiratory issues is the PT. A few times we had that happen with our rats and after a necropsy showed very healthy lungs so it was the PT all along making the rat have issues with breathing.

It's quite possible her respiratory issues is the PT. A few times we had that happen with our rats and after a necropsy showed very healthy lungs so it was the PT all along making the rat have issues with breathing.
:( Oh, that's not good.

I'm going to still try and treat her for it, she's always had a small, recurring URI throught her life, and I don't want to just abandon the case. I'm also wondering about putting her on a watch dose of baytril, since this pred is a immune suppressant.

Back