My pet rats are fighting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuBear

Hi, I adopted two rats yesterday. They are one years old. They lived together with their previous owner but I'm not sure if they fought then. Is it normal? What can I do to chill them out a wee bit?
Is it just play fighting?
They don't fight during the day. It's only at night. During the day they both chill together quite happily :-/
Thanks people
Xxx

It's probably ok. Often rats, especially males, will rough house. As long as they have enough cage space and there are no injuries, it's not something to be too concerned about.

What type of cage do you have them in?

Some rats will play fight and sometimes they just squabble. Keep an eye on them, make sure nobody is getting hurt. Also, check them over for scabs, in case they have mites or lice because that can cause rats to become grumpy and fight.

I've been having a check this morning.
One seems ok and the others a wriggler lol so I'm gonna have another check when I get back from work
Xx

Are they neutered? My first two rats were two male brothers. I thought they just play-fought a lot and there were never any injuries. They were also really competitive with each other for treats and could leap between the platforms where my future rats always needed ropes. They became really muscular! In the end, I found one dead in the cage with blood under his nails. It was really traumatic and I still don't know what happened - maybe he just had a heart attack and it had nothing to do with his brother. In any case, if you find that the fighting seems too rough or too persistent, I would get them neutered to avoid the risk since in hindsight I think my boys suffered from hyper-aggression. Then again, your case may just be normal and nothing like mine!

They aren't nuetered.
Oh god! That's awful!
Thanks for scaring me lol.
Mine jump the cage.
And treacle is very rushy to get the treat first
I may have to get them neutered.
You reckon it'll calm em down?
Xx

Ok
So Ive noticed what they're doing!
Button is tryin to hump poor treacle
Will neutering button calm her down and make her stop actin like this?
What can I do in the mean time?

They are females?
This is normal behaviour with females. When one goes into heat the other one will mount. It's not harmful at all and quite normal. It's probably nothing to worry about. Might even be part of their playing.

Back