My new baby girl is super scared!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louder

I went and got a second rat today from PetSmart, as they are the only place in town with rats, and the shelter didn't have any. I was amazed that they still had this girl, since she was there when I bought Norah last month.
Anyways, I was SO ANGRY because they had her in one of their very big habitats all ALONE! When the store associate entered the habitat, she freaked out, letting out little rat squeaks and running, you could tell she was so afraid! And even worse, when I said I wanted to buy another rat, he immediately went for the brand new babies, didn't even offer the older rat to me. I had to ask for her.

I've had her home overnight, and she gets along great with Norah, and they quickly bonded and are now lounging around in the big pink tube in their cage. But I can't get her to be calm. She won't take treats from me, but will take them from Norah, when I pick her up she squeals and wiggles to get down, but I just make soft shhh noises and hold her for a few minutes before putting her back.

I didn't experience this at all with Norah, she was playful and glad to be held all the time.
The new girl also has something on her tail. Norah's tail is smooth, but the new girl, it looks kind of like roof shingles, like layered. I don't know if that's normal or not, since these are my first rats.

I haven't named her yet because I can't think of a name that fits her timid personality.

Tomorrow I'm driving to buy a second hand cage that was home to three ferrets. It's quite large and in very good condition, but right now I'm just leaving the cage door open, Norah runs in and out and plays but the new baby won't leave the tube.

I could really use some advice if anyone has any!
Thanks!

Lorri.

Dont worry.. she will just have to take time to get used to you. I am still working with mine and i have had her since valentines day :heart:

It's a good thing she's got Norah now to help her learn that you are a good thing.
Have you tried the down the shirt trick? Put on a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt over top and put the two girls in there for at least 30 minutes... do this several times a day if you can. This will make her bond to your smell. Offer treats to her in there too.
This always works with my scared rats.

Back