my naked, Dover, being adorable!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatTheHippie

One of my trust training techniques with my rats, is teaching them to eat treats while I hold them. Rats always seem to want to run away with their treats and hide, so I figure it's a very trusting thing if they'll eat while you hold them. I hand them a treat, pick them up, and say "do the thing" and my rats begin eating, and it's so heart meltingly adorable too!! :thud:

Well, this is my beautiful Dover "doing the thing" as we call it.

P.S. my roomate Megan, Roman and Lionel's mom, is the one taking the video, you can hear her talking in the background :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=714712868540056

!!! He looks ridiculous! I can't believe he does that, my boys "flip" when they're on their backs (pardon the pun!)

:thud: :laugh4:

What a gorgeous "dead chicken"! Your friend made me laugh. :giggle:

That's awesome! Most of my rats run away to eat, but then there's always one or two who will eat on my lap. Best feeling ever. <3

I'm curious as to how you managed to teach him that?

mia9_28 said:
I'm curious as to how you managed to teach him that?

I'll scoop him up, and hand him a treat. Then say "Do the thing". At first, they usually struggle to get away, so I just gently hold them in place, and after a little while, and a little encouragement with me repeating the phrase, they usually give up and start eating their treat. Then I reward them with positive reinforcement, and hand them a second treat to show them that when they do it, they get more, and normally the second time they won't struggle nearly as much to get away. I do this a few times a day for a few weeks, and then they do it without issue every time. It's really helped me bond with a lot of my rats, it shows them that being held isn't a bad thing, and they associate being held with treats so they come to enjoy it, and I just love how heart meltingly adorable it is to watch them do it :heart:

xcat said:
What a gorgeous "dead chicken"! Your friend made me laugh. :giggle:

HAHA! Oh, Megan. She was pretty wary of the naked rats at first, but she's come to love them. She just lovingly refers to them as the most hideous wrinkly things ever as she pets them and feeds them treats :roll:

Back