My Geriatric Rat Needs a Diet!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi Guys,

Wow - it has been forever since i have been on here - i miss it! I have been so busy with my dogs this summer. My Newfoundland got her Water Rescue title in September - very exciting, but for another post.

My old guy Gobo has been holding on, he is 2 years and 5 months old! For a little while it was looking like he was very close to calling it quits so i was feeding him anything and everything - spoiling him rotten - not going to hurt at this point!

Lately, he has really come around and seems more lively which is great. The only problem is HE IS FAT! I wouldn't worry so much but he has lost most of his mobility in his backend, he just drags himself around (he has been like this for a while now). I am worried that the extra weight is making it even harder for him to get around.

Because he is old and not very mobile his spends most if his time eating and sleeping. He has a ravenous appetite - he eats like crazy!

Anyway, i want him to lose little weight so its easier for him to get around.

Right now he is eating veggies, karmut puffs and Natural Balance Vegetarian dog food (only because you can't get Oxbow anywhere right now - its on back order).

Questions:

1) Is there a feeding guide somewhere for over weight rats? Actual amounts to feed? His idea weight is a little under 1lb.
2) can you guys recommend something low-cal low-fat for him to chew on to keep his busy? What could he eat a lot of that won't make him too fat?

Thanks!

Tara

Hi Tara!! It's so good to hear from you. And wow Gobo is still with you how wonderful.
At this point, I don't think you want him to lose too much weight. You could increase his veggies. Cut anything that has sugar or too high protein. Watermelon is something that would keep him hydrated but low calories.

Thanks Joanne!

So i shouldn't be too worried about the extra weight, just making sure he doesn't get any bigger?

I think i will cut back on the kibble, that will be higher in protein and calories than the cereal and veggies. I have also been feeding baby cereal.

The baby cereal could the culprit here. I've noticed with all my rats, when I start the baby cereal they balloon, so maybe cut back a bit on the baby cereal but not much cause you don't want him losing weight. If he can stay the same that would be great.

Back