My Gals... and their home...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Monster

"Champ", Full name Cham-pang-ya (i.e. champagne but pronounced like the old SNL Christopher Walken charachter), hanging in the hammock with a snack.
IMG_1197.jpg

"Josi", Josephine, named by my friend, who gave her to me when her family didn't like it in the house. She was a lab breeder from a friend of hers. I don't know why they didn't want her anymore. Also nomming on a snack.
IMG_1254.jpg

The baby, "Gwen", named after Gwendolyn from the Mouse Guard (http://www.mouseguard.net/), she's skittish, the camera scares her. So she's hard to get sometimes.
IMG_1245.jpg

Josi atop the "boxamajig maze"...
IMG_1230.jpg

Champ in the boxamajig maze...
IMG_1242.jpg

Gwen on the back of the couch again...
IMG_1229.jpg

Josi & Champ hiding in a box...
IMG_1223.jpg

Josi & Gwen snuggled up in a tube/hut... Better look at Gwen's nose marking.
IMG_1225.jpg

Cage, toys come and go, not always this sparse...
IMG_1256.jpg

My old custom cage, Chateau de Vermin, just before I threw it out. Usually had two hammocks in there too... If you look close you can see where they went, look for the burgundy fleece.
IMG_0799.jpg

Yeah, they love those shipping tubes. My couch has a little ledge, couple inches wide, between the back cushion and the wall. Makes a great rat-run. And I see a lot of people make box forts, but mine's a maze, well, maybe not a maze, there's only one path, but there's boxes in boxes, and cut up pieces in some making walls and stuff. They seem to enjoy it.

And thanks for the comment.

Also, anyone know what these coats are called. I know Josi's an imperfect hooded, from what I understand a true hooded, aka a Japanese, have just a colored head that ends perfectly with the body and no other spots.

I described Gwen once and someone said she sounded like a Himi, I had described her to non rat people as looking like a Siamese cat...

What about Champ? Does that have a name. Honestly she just looks like a wild barn rat of mid-west to me.

Champ is a fawn. Wild rats only come in agouti and black.

Josi looks to be an agouti capped with a head spot. Hooded rats have a "hood" over their whole head and shoulders, and a stripe down their back.

Gwen looks like a siamese.

Fawn eh? And I guess it was that agouti I was thinking of. I didn't realize how much darker they were, I just sort of remember seeing wild rats that were a little more golden tan, than dark brown or black like the city rats. From what I understand the bigger nasty looking black rats are a whole other breed altogether than our domesticated friends.

I_Monster said:
From what I understand the bigger nasty looking black rats are a whole other breed altogether than our domesticated friends.
Yeah Rattus rattus (commonly called Black Rats) are a separate species from Rattus norvegicus (commonly called Norway Rats). Domesticated rats are members of R. norvegicus. I believe there have been attempts to domesticate R. rattus but that didn't fly. R. rattus are actually smaller then norvegicus.

Your girls are gorgeous :) Also, I love Champagne's name! Christopher Walken is awesome :giggle:

Back