My furry family is getting . . . complicated

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

Some of you know that my precious General is in her last days. I have done all I can for her. All that is left is to keep her comfortable and feeling loved until she passes or the decision must be made to put her down. It is heartbreaking to lose my little buddy, but that's not my biggest concern now. My current biggest worry is how to take care of my youngest.

Gumdrop is very social and energetic and the stress of losing her only playmate and companion is concerning me. I was hoping I'd have some time to mourn before I introduced new friends to Gumdrop, but I don't think I can waste time. Gumdrop isn't the same and I'm afraid for her health if she doesn't have some companionship during this tough time. I spend a lot more extra time with her, but it's just not the same as she was when she could play and snuggle with General all the time. She can't even sleep well without a cuddle buddy.

I've been researching around me all week and I finally found a woman trying to find homes for her rescued rats who I feel like I can trust. I don't live in an area where pets like mine are common and the process was much more frustrating than I thought it would be. She has two girls, just a little younger than Gumdrop, who I feel could be a good match for Gumdrop's energetic personality. I meant to find one, but these two are a bonded pair and cannot be healthily separated. I meet them either tomorrow or the next day. I feel very good about this. Like I said, I've been looking at options for a while now, and this just feels very right to me. I won't know until I meet her and them and see the conditions they're living in and their medical information, but I feel more sure than I have in a while.

There is a slight problem though. It's been a few weeks since the ad was placed and, in that time, the girls have become very attached to another young female. She has had more problems being placed, as she has had a tendency to bite when she doesn't feel like she's getting the attention she wants, but she seems to be on her best behavior with the two I'm looking at and they would hate to split them up. The first thing I asked was about the biting and she's never bitten a cagemate. It's just people, and it's a fairly rare occurrence. If she wouldn't be a risk to Gumdrop, I could deal with a slightly more temperamental baby.

Once again, I can't know until I get to meet the woman and the rats face-to-face, but I'm seriously considering trying to introduce the third. The whole point of this is to try to heal the stress and pain from the loss of a member of our little family, and I would hate to break another one up in the process. I think that I have the time and energy for four rats. I certainly have the room and resources. I also think it would be good for Gumdrop. She is so full of energy and affection and it's been hard for General to keep up with her. With multiple companions, I think it would be easier for all of them to keep each other occupied.

Obviously, this all depends on A) what I think after the face-to-face and, B) what Gumdrop thinks of them. I think that I would like to give it a shot. There is a 14-day period in which I could return them and get my adoption fee back, so it would be possible to try it out, but I'd feel awful bouncing them around. I'm not concerned about the refund. I'm just concerned about all of the uncertainty.

I'm having a lot of conflicting feelings right now and I was hoping for some outside opinions.

well, if it feels right go for it - all rats need love and perhaps the "biter" is just misunderstood and all 4 will be great buddies together!

I feel pretty good about my resources right now. My financial situation has gotten pretty good, the cage is already pretty large because I wanted to make sure Gumdrop had plenty of room for her boundless energy, and my vet is very affordable. This is a good time in my life for them to come along, actually. The whole thing just seems kind of crazy to me when I stop to think of it. The thought of having the four babies (including my Gumdrop) sounds appealing, but it also sounds like a lot when I say it out loud. I'm just worried about getting in over my head so soon after all of this with the General. But I so love the idea of expanding the family. I want to be sure there's a firm support group in the cage to handle things like this in the future.

If the biter only bites people when she isn't getting enough attention, just make sure to give her lots of attention, especially when she is out with you.

My Cindy was like that. If I was on the phone or not paying attention she would bite my lip .... she wasn't trying to hurt me, she thought it was a game ... like "tag, you're it". Cindy just wanted my attention and was trying to get it. So when she was out playing, I just had to give her a lot of attention and be awre of where she was. Cindy was a wonderful, active, loving girl.

Good luck with yoiur new girls. Sounds like the woman who has them is pretty good and really cares about finding them a good home. :thumbup:

SQ said:
If the biter only bites people when she isn't getting enough attention, just make sure to give her lots of attention, especially when she is out with you.

My Cindy was like that. If I was on the phone or not paying attention she would bite my lip .... she wasn't trying to hurt me, she thought it was a game ... like "tag, you're it". Cindy just wanted my attention and was trying to get it. So when she was out playing, I just had to give her a lot of attention and be awre of where she was. Cindy was a wonderful, active, loving girl.

Good luck with yoiur new girls. Sounds like the woman who has them is pretty good and really cares about finding them a good home. :thumbup:

Thank you. I'm really starting to warm up to the idea, but I really appreciate the way you explained the jealousy biting. That definitely does sound like something I can deal with. I really do hate to break up a family. I'm informing the woman today that I would like to meet Dot (the biter) as well and see how well she might work with my household.

Okay, so I made plans to meet the three girls tomorrow morning and to talk to the woman who's currently keeping them. Dot has not had an owner before who was willing to give her a lot of attention or affection, which would explain her habit of jealous biting. She's been much better with the woman she's with now, but it's still sort of a problem. I just hope she'll be comfortable with me. The other two, I'm not so nervous about. They're both supposedly very social and she thinks they'll be easy to transition into a new home. Dot is the wild card. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because it would break my heart to have to separate the trio.

I think Gumdrop will accept them easily. Like I said, she thinks everyone is her friend and she's really reaching out for companionship right now. I just hope they do as well with a new home and sister as their current owner thinks they will.

Back