My first ratties!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattieTaffy

So I decided to make a thread for this to introduce you guys to my two girls.

They are a bit young 4 weeks, but the mother weaned them so they are now under my care.

So this little girl is Cappuccino
UruTv0N.jpg

She is a double rex fawn rat with ruby eyes. (I believe they are ruby)

And this little girl is River
dMObD8V.jpg

She is a nakkie rat. Not sure about other markings and stuff (since her nose looks darker and so do other parts of her)

I adopted them yesterday on March 8th, 2015.
I cant wait to see them grow up :)

At four weeks they are really too young to be away from mom you might need to give them soy formula. They are so cute and precious...

Please supplement their diet of a good quality block and daily vegs (see forbidden foods list in the reference section of this forum)
with organic soy infant formula (the closest thing to a rat mama's milk) thickened with a bit of organic baby cereal.

As dspch911 wrote, they are too young to be away from their mama ...
it is recommended that baby girls be be kept with their mama until at least 6 weeks old,
even tho they would be completely weaned by 5 weeks, as they have a lot to learn from their mama
It is also recommended that babies not be rehomed until at least 6 weeks old due to the stress this puts on them, etc
(although baby boys are separated from mom and sisters at 5 weeks)

That said, they look like very sweet little girls

Last edited:
How much of the formula should I give them? Does regular grocery store carry it? And should Is cooked peas fine to give them? Or should I Let them thaw? I need to buy some more veggies

Organic soy infant formula should be in the infant section of the grocery store as should organic baby cereal.

It will have instructions on how to mix. Give them a bit In a small dish.
They will eat as much as they want.
Rats usually only eat a tiny bit of a new food and then if it doesn't make them ill they will gradually eat more the next time.

Rats love peas ... some people feed frozen thawed, some will cook the peas a bit (and let them cool)

Their main food, tho is a good quality block

hope this helps

I'm feeding them oxbow which is the best lab block imo available in stores near me. I'm going to get some formula. Hopefully it lasts me a bit since it's not cheap

Back