My first DCN. Rats are like.. ?? I need some tips

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybell2477

Hi everyone,

Although my boys (aged a year and a half) have had a lovely big cage throughout their lives, it's not really ideal for older rats and mine are getting older now. I couldn't afford a DCN before as they are more expensive here in the UK I think, and they are hard to get hold of. Well, I saved up and just got my first double level critter nation and... :wow3: It's HUGE!

I was really excited to put my 3 boys in there for the first time. I've decorated with fleece liners, lot's of toys and bedding of all types. It's a palace. But I was really surprised by their reaction to it..

They all kind of sat on the bottom level, boggling, chattering and bruxing and looked really scared lol. They just didn't know what to do with themselves. I think they were very intrigued but they just sat there and just stared at me on the bottom! They certainly wouldn't brave the upper levels and I had to give them a helping hand of encouragement. This is a big cage and I think they're overwhelmed. They didn't want to explore - they just bundled into the most ridiculously small space and piled on top of each other bless em haha.

They like the top level though. I've put their food and their litter tray at the bottom of the cage to motivate them to exercise and to use their litter tray - is this mean of me? I just want to encourage them to use the whole of their cage and to go all the way to the bottom to eat. Will this work or will they starve out of sheer terror of braving the bottom? Or should I move everything to the top for them? I know they're very lazy! I have no idea where to place things and I want the best for them.

I got up this morning after their very first night in their new cage and they all emerged from their beds wide-eyed and looked really lost. I don't think they ate all night! I gave them some banana and they woofed it down. I think they were too chicken to make the 'long' journey down to the bottom of the cage for their food. Their litter box also hadn't been used.

How long will it take for them to adapt? I know that ratties get very attached to their homes and they probably miss the familiarity of their former cage. I know it's early days.

They are older now, will they be able to relax and enjoy all the new space and make use of all the levels? Any advice or tips will really help to set my mind at ease.

With just 3 boys, you could perhaps close up the CN for now, so they can get "acclimated" to the new cage easier and faster. And when they are comfortable, give them the lower level. My guys never took too long to get over their stress of the move, sometimes a week or two. Maybe hide yummy treats around the cage. Don't hand it to them. Let their nose force them to go out and explore.

We put 2-3 liter pans in the DCN, you can put 2 bowls of food and we always have 2 bottles of water. However, with 2 you can just use one half - with them being elderly the climbing around in the one half might be enough for them.

Back