My Double Ferret Nation Set Up *Pictures*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I rearranged my FN last night! I was using YN in the whole cage, but found that it was too hard on their feet, so I tried using fleece, but 5 min's after putting the fleece down it would be soaked with pee :wallbang:, so now I have triedjust using the bare floor, except on the top level, I have a box the same size as the level made out of coroplast and put on the level and filled with YN, and I have a big litter pan laid on each level. They are doing great with having the bare floor, they actually pee in the litter box now. Occasionally there will be a spot of pee somewhere, but no ofter and nothing a babywipe can't clear up:).
I would use bedding, but Toby has a very sensitive resp tract, lol.

I will post some pictures later!

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

victoria said:
What about using black and white newspaper RM? Or packing paper or something similar?
They will only shread it and nest in it, lol.
The way I have it now works great for me, they only pee and poop in the litter pans, there is usually no pee anywhere on the floor.

Adorable! I am so jealous of the canadian waffle houses they're so cute. What is on that fabric? It almost looks like a mouse?

If you decide to go back to liners, you might want to try cotton/flannel/orfleece and fleece liners with cotton batting in the middle. It makes a huuuge difference, keeps the liners dry and smell free for far longer.

New Day, New Setup!

IMG_9199.jpg
e

I have some bird toys and ropes too but currently are being frozen!

Victoria, I took your advice on the newspaper thing and started using it for my rescues and my gerbils and it's working well, I might have to try it with the FN! even tho I like using nothing.
I shredded the newspaper and then put it in the cages.
I also called my newspaper company to make sure the ink was soy based.

Nice use of coroplast!

I never thought of using packing paper. I am going to have to try it. I decided against news paper because the ink might stain the rats.

Ooo very nice! I'm looking forward to finally getting my six boys a double CN! They're in a giant Super Pet cage with 3 separate pee river shelves on three of the four levels. Needless to say, it's awful to clean (it also has tiny doors that I snag my wrist piercings on a lot) so the CN will be an amazing change. I'm going to try out the bare-floor thing and see if it works for me as well as it worked for you. Maybe they'll be more inclined to go in the litter boxes.

sarahlovesrats said:
Ooo very nice! I'm looking forward to finally getting my six boys a double CN! They're in a giant Super Pet cage with 3 separate pee river shelves on three of the four levels. Needless to say, it's awful to clean (it also has tiny doors that I snag my wrist piercings on a lot) so the CN will be an amazing change. I'm going to try out the bare-floor thing and see if it works for me as well as it worked for you. Maybe they'll be more inclined to go in the litter boxes.

Funny, I have my six boys in that exact same cage I bet. I HATE those shelves. Until I get a CN I've been considering getting rid of the shelves altogether and just going with "soft shelves" aka hammocks. The pee rivers I can deal with, but the fact that it takes forever to get all of the shelves OUT of the cage and is impossible to do so without tipping them and thus dumping any and all poo onto your floor...yeah. Very annoying.

*has CN envy!*

I used to own a super pet cage, and I hated everything about it haha.

I would have gotten a CN but we had none here but there was a FN here, and my crew is fukk of fatties that can't fit through the bars, except for momma, but she got out once and I punished her by putting her in carrier and facing it towards the wall with the lights off away from everyone ..and she hasnt tried to get out since.

I change the setup about every two days, just because its so fun to redecorate and they love it.
I have another setup today, I will post the pics later!

Also, one thing about the FN I can't use the shelves, because they think they are litter pans, thats why I use tubes, ropes and lots of hammocks.

fenshae said:
sarahlovesrats said:

Funny, I have my six boys in that exact same cage I bet. I HATE those shelves. Until I get a CN I've been considering getting rid of the shelves altogether and just going with "soft shelves" aka hammocks. The pee rivers I can deal with, but the fact that it takes forever to get all of the shelves OUT of the cage and is impossible to do so without tipping them and thus dumping any and all poo onto your floor...yeah. Very annoying.

*has CN envy!*

Mine is purple, has a stand, and four levels, each level using 3 separate "adjustable" shelves. The cage is held together with crappy plastic clip things that break somewhat easily. The shelves are a PAIN to adjust, especially because my cage is held together so tightly with bits of wire (because some of my clips broke and I was worried the cage would fall apart and the rats would get hurt).
The shelves are evil. If you keep it the way it was meant to be with the 3 shelves per level, then it is SO HARD TO CLEAN THE PEE RIVER SHELVES! I don't remove them to clean just because it's soooo difficult to get them loose. I use a hand broom to sweep it out, which doesn't work the best. I removed the middle shelf on the levels that don't get a big door so I could reach into the big door on the level below it and reach up to sweep the shelves off. It is better than it was before but still a challenge. I cannot wait to get my CN. I will be ordering it in about three days.

Back