My day at work with the owls - pic heavy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

Every Saturday I head over to the Owl Centre to do my volunatry work placement for college.
It has been snowing the past few days so I took my camera with me today because I didn't expect there would be too much for us to do.
The birds i get to work with are just beautiful, and some of them have the most amazing of personalities. It is hard to take good pictures because of the wire fronts on the aviary, but the guy I work with said I could go into the aviaries with my camera some time and get some good pics :)

To begin we have Merlin. He is a Common Raven and a rescue. He can say "Hello" like an old man, and it makes us jump sometimes when hes right behind us.
2009_1219owlcentre0002.jpg

Cruella - Hornbill. Had a mate named Gilbert but she bullied him so he is on breeding loan in London to see if he gets on any better with their females. She can be nasty lol.
2009_1219owlcentre0003.jpg

The Snowy Owls
Sox - the daddy. Very handsome bird
2009_1219owlcentre0009.jpg

Momma and one of the babies (im not sure of their names). There is another baby in a different aviary that was handreared. He is whiter like Sox
2009_1219owlcentre0013.jpg

Stanley - he is fantastic. He runs across the floor and straight up the front of the aviary if you stand there. If you talk to him he puts his face up to the sky and makes really loud squarks. It scares the crap out of all the kids that visit but its funny. He is the demonstration bird but i haven't seen him fly yet.
2009_1219owlcentre0015.jpg

Rosie - She is a little madam. She either likes you, or hates you. There is no inbetween.
2009_1219owlcentre0018.jpg

2009_1219owlcentre0021.jpg

Priscilla - She is beautiful. she is indoors in a heated aviary because of the cold and wet weather. she looks sad :(
2009_1219owlcentre0030.jpg

Some of the other birds:

Barn Owls:

2009_1219owlcentre0023.jpg

This little lady is very old and very blind. When we feed her, we have to wait till she comes over to the feeding hole in the mesh, and try and drop the food so it makes a thud on the floor so she can find it. It takes her a while but she finds it :)
2009_1219owlcentre0029.jpg

Spectacled Owls:
They normally just sit at the back of the aviary and hiss at you but this guy sat at the front today and hissed at me :)
2009_1219owlcentre0024.jpg

2009_1219owlcentre0025.jpg

Tawny Frog Mouth Owls - very wierd
2009_1219owlcentre0026.jpg

Very cool!

Rosie has some gorgeous eyes. So haunting.
Those Frog Mouth Owls had me laughing. They don't look like real birds they look like a mix between a tree and a Furby - if anyone remembers those creepy toys.

haha! yes i remember furbys. The funny thing with the frog mouths is that they always sit in the same position, and i didn't even see one of them move for the first few weeks so i refused to believe they were even real!

Aren't the tawny frog mouthed guys the ones that do the shape shifting, when threatened, in order to camouflage themselves against the trees? They are really nifty.
Super pictures and gorgeous creatures!

I had forgotten about this thread; came across it again by accident. The photos are so beautiful, and I am glad that someone cares for these wonderful birds. I love owls.

ryelle, I assume that your work with the owl rehab centre is done by now. Were all of those owls still OK by the time you left?

hey, i lost this post a while ago haha. totally forgot about it.
yeah, my time at the owl centre was over when he told me not to return after i helped at the opening of my university's animal unit (it was being named after a guy who built it and died of cancer a year before). The last i know, all the birds are fine. They were attempting to breed Rosie to her brother though which i had issues with, especially when there are unrelated birds available in the area. I miss working with them, and tried to get clearance to work with another guy who owns a bird of prey centre but it all fell through. I am however, glad to not be working in the cold and the snow this year :giggle:

Back