My boy keeps biting his cage mates ears and draws blood?? Help!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SillyGilly

Hello all!

My question today involves my baby, Beowulf. He’s a non-neutered, healthy 6 month old, and today we took him, along with his brothers, Shy and Sheriff, – who are around the same age as him – to the vets for a general health exam. Well, while in the waiting room, Beowulf started picking fights with the other two; boxing with them, rump-bumping them, etc. and during this episode of his he had actually bitten Sheriff’s ear and made it bleed! Shy too! He had ripped a good size chunk out of Shy’s head by his ear, that was wide enough to concern our vet and earned Shy some glue to the laceration. He actually had to be quarantined from the other two by our vet, and during the trip home. He’s seemed pretty fine when we returned. However, its been about three hours since we got back and we just witnessed Beowulf bite Shy’s ear again! What should we do?? And what could this possibly mean?? Please help me! We’re very scared to leave Beowulf alone any longer in the cage with them…

He’s never done anything like this before!! Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I'm not experienced with boys but maybe when he ou were waiting for your appointment he was stressed out? Also, it might be hormones though he's pretty young... maybe try to separate Beowulf from the other 2 for a while but still put him next to their cage. I am sorry that I cannot offer more of an answer and I hope someone who knows more can help you!

I'm not experienced with boys but maybe when he ou were waiting for your appointment he was stressed out? Also, it might be hormones though he's pretty young... maybe try to separate Beowulf from the other 2 for a while but still put him next to their cage. I am sorry that I cannot offer more of an answer and I hope someone who knows more can help you!
Thank you so much for your reply Latte TheRat!! I really appreciate you taking the time to drop a response, despite not having a lot of experience with boys! I’m beyond grateful!! I find it very odd that he so suddenly started to act that way…he’s been with Sheriff and Shy since the three of them were all about three weeks old. I do think that it may have been the stress of the wait though. He has yet to go at their ears anymore for now (thank goodness). He actually, just now, licked Shy’s face and the two are now engaged in an adorable little grooming session lol. If it happens again though, I’ll definitely chalk it up to hormones and separate him from the other two! I’ll be sure to keep you updated if that turns out to be the case. :)

From my mischief to yours, we hope you all have a great weekend Latte TheRat <3 Thanks again!

Well- I must have missed this yesterday.! You said he was bumping them and boxing.? Was his fur fluffed as well.? If it was I would say hormonal too

Well- I must have missed this yesterday.! You said he was bumping them and boxing.? Was his fur fluffed as well.? If it was I would say hormonal too
Hmm fortunately it didn’t look like he was fluffed, just bumping and boxing. Although sometimes he’ll frighten his cage mates to the point that they both hide in their little space pod. They’ll also get all stiff-like whenever he comes around to sniff their faces...They’ll fight on occasion but never to the point that there’s blood. He did this thing a little while ago where Shy was doing something he didn’t like so he nipped his ear! It made Shy squeak a little! No blood though, thank goodness. And then the two of them just started popcorning around all merry-like and playing! I guess I’ll never understand boys? Lol.

Back