My Binoo is fluffed up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tart

I have a male rat named Binoo who is fluffed up lately when he wakes up from sleeping. He is a feeder rat from Pets Unlimited.[didn't know the rules about buying feeders until after the fact :emb: ] His age is unknown, but I figure he's about a year. I got him in February they told me he was 4 or 5 months old then.
He has always had little sneezes but nothing consistent. Every so often he makes a zipper sound when sniffing around but only when he first wakes up. It doesn't sound like it's in his lungs it sounds more in his nose. He does have Porphyrin but again usually when he wakes up. Lately being puffy is the only weird thing I've noticed. He's not acting sick, he is eating, drinking and still cuddly.

Some changes lately in our home have been:
- I adopted out 2 of my 4 rats. [There is only one buddy in the cage with him now.[Peso]]
- We got a puppy.

Does anyone know if these things could be causing this or do you think he is sick with Mycoplasma?
Is it possible he doesn't like Peso ? They rarely sleep together.
If it Is Mycoplasma is there any way to treat him at home without the vet b/c just taking him to the vet is 70$ not something I have right now at this moment. I love him and he is my first rat and I'm very bonded to him.
Do you think he might just be puffed up cause he's trying to look tough towards the puppy?

If this is still relevant you should re-post again under ER.. it will get more views there & more likely to have someone reply with advice. I don't know why he's been puffed up, mine usually get like that when meeting a new rat, so I'm not sure why your boy is doing it. It kind of sounds like he could be sick & hiding it well. Good luck!

Back