My bachelor pad *CAUTION!* Dangerous Ball!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CinderSmoke

Do NOT use the giant runabout ball in your cages unless you use caution. Simon caught his toes in the "ventilation" slots and took off some skin. He's ok, but sore and scabbed.

Here are a few pics of my Martins cage. It is a double stacked R-680 and houses four boys (Simon Jiggles, Vincent Pennywise, Arthur Whippersnapp and Jakob Jingleheimer). I love this cage for it's cleaning ease and decorating options.....
Top:
100_0587.jpg

Bottom:
100_0589.jpg

Whole cage:
100_0585.jpg

The guys go crazy when I redecorate, dragging their bandanas to "just the right spot" and checking everything out.

jorats said:
That really looks great! The boys must be so happy in that palace. I love those rollabout balls, they make great beds.

Yeah, beds are pretty much all the balls are good for. But compared to hammocks they are "economical"..... it takes longer for the rats to chew them to pieces and you can stuff them full of bandanas pretty cheaply.
My boys are all pet shop "feeder" rats, so they really think they are in heaven here.
Thanks for the compliment, by the way. I try to be creative and think like a rat when I buy stuff and decorate the cage.

Squishie said:
That looks awsome! I love "house" picures, it gives me lot of inspiration. :thumbup:

I too love house pictures. I'm always looking for neat toys, beds, etc to add to my cage, and others peoples pictures help alot.

Very creative decorating. I love your cage. How about some hanging wooden toys or blocks for them to chew on? Mine go crazy over bamboo bird toys too. BTW I love their names.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions! I'll pick up some hanging wood toys today. The boys do have a bird toy that normally hangs in the cage, but they seemed to be bored with it so I removed it for now. The only thing that seems to excite them is FOOD.... LOL. Maybe I should get them a critter ka-bob and spear lots of fruits and veggies on it?

Updated regarding the danger of the giant runabout ball. Simon caught his toes and lost some skin in the "ventilation" slots. He's ok, but sore and upset. I'm looking for a way to seal the slots permanently, or will simply not put the ball back in the cage.

jorats said:
I like to put down fleece or even paper towels in mine.
Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon.

I had bandanas in it, but they must have shoved them aside.......
Arthur (my littlest guy) is taking good care of Simon. He keeps snuggling up to him and cleaning him......

Martins cages are great but you would want a powder coated cage with a foot print of at least 30 in by 18 in. (The extra large doors and pull out tray are nice option to get.)

Back