My baby had a stroke.. Help.?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Staff member
Okay so.. I have a young rat who had a stroke . I brought her to the vet and he said to give her meds but I'm still waiting for one to arrive .. I've started her on the one we have but I am holding her now and I can hear her breathing.? She keeps squeaking like she's in pain but I don't know what to do .. She suddenly starts bruxing I think .. She doesn't move much in the cage and I had to force feed her baby food so she didn't starve or dehydrate... I don't know what else to do... She randomly starts shaking and I can't tell if she is having muscle spasms or seizures... Please help me out here I'm lost at this point .....

Last edited:
So far, I haven't had one that's had a stroke, thank God! Poor baby! What did they give her for meds? Dosages? Some of the more knowledgeable people in here should see this soon, and will ask the same questions. Also, if you can, take video of her breathing, and the shaking, and post it to YouTube, then copy the link and post it here. They will want to see video to be able to help you better. But for now, keep doing the baby food, and water, or organic soy infant formula with a little bit of baby cereal mixed in. You don't want her to get dehydrated. That's deadly for rats. Good luck! Hope she gets better soon!

Baytril and Doxycycline, Right now I only have Baytril for her we should get the other soon.. She is getting 3.5 ML of Baytril and I mix it with baby food so she takes it semi-willingly.. I'm not sure if I can get a video but I'll try.. I pinched her scruff and it went back down almost immediately and I will be giving her baby food more often if I can but I have to force it then she starts squeaking and sometimes shaking... And Thanks for the support !

Last edited:
Poor baby! Sometimes you have to get creative with flavors. They can get pretty picky too. I had to change peppers food around every couple of feedings. He got smart on what I was doing, and would refuse it. I got a couple of protest squeaks from time to time. Just keep at it. Don't give up.....:)

I don't plan on it ! She has taken all her meds for the day and we tried to give her a treat for being good but she didn't want it.. She seems so exhausted this whole situation is tough but I hope we all pull through ! I'll try to get a video tomorrow when its light..

Please be careful ….. if you are syringe feeding her, then you put a drop at a time into the side of her mouth so that it does not go into her lungs … she may be able to lick the food off of your finger

Please describe the stroke.
Was she weaker on one side then on the other?
Is she still weaker on one side?
Did the vet say anything about seizures?

Please give more details and post a video (post it to youtube and then put the link on here)

The treatment for stroke is a steroid such as prednisone plus an antibiotic (rats can not just stop taking a steroid but the dose must be gradually reduced by cutting it in half over time)
Here is some info on strokes http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php
This provides info on care etc

I am as careful as I can be but she's so small.. She had the classic head tilt walking in circles and confused.. She still walks in circles but can walk in a semi-straight line now.. And he never said anything about her having potential seizures.... I'll try to get a video tomorrow when everyone is awake and its light out.. I don't know if she has any quality of life left... I'm so worried about her I had to take her out of the big cage an into a single floor no-shelf one.. I have four girls and one has an Abscess on her neck that is being treated so she's with the little one .. Her stroke was caused by Mycoplasma according to the vet. But I'm still so worried about her so I came here... Thanks for the link I'll give it a look..

Last edited:
Why did the vet think she had a stroke?

How old is she?

Is the circling and head tilt part of the stroke symptoms or was she previously treated for an inner ear infection? … How long was she treated? …… What was she given? …… When did her symptoms start to improve - after the meds were started or before?

Is she able to eat and drink by herself?
Is she able to lick food off your finger?

Please post some pictures (click on the More Options button in the bottom right of your text boox, click upload a fie and select a picture, then click full image)

Please post some videos - of her walking and of her eating, if possible

Last edited:
here's the video.. If you need a better one you'll need to tell me what you need recorded... I hope this gives more info than I gave..

Can you do another video and put her down further away from you so we can see more of her walking?

How long has she been like this?
Did it happen all at once or did it gradually become worse?

What is her name?
How old is she?

Head tilt. Walking in circles. Her right eye has an astigma and her left eye is trying to move away from the right side of the brain while her left eye is also bulging . Around 13-14 weaks. The head tilt started because of the stroke never had an ear infection . I haven't seen her eat or drink on her own but she did take it from my finger so we will try spoon feeding her .

I can once I get home.. About two days it all happened at once.. Her name is Mazu.

Strokes are not common in rats. From your description, sounds more like ear infection and lung infection. Myco doesn't cause strokes either. She should be on enrofloxacin and doxycycline or azithromycin for 4 to 6 weeks.

How often should I feed her.? I have no idea how often I should.

She is on enro and she is starting doxy soon . The vet checked her ears and they were clear ... Can I ask why she is circling then if she doesn't have an ear infection.?. .

She is free fed but she can't move on her own.. She just goes in circles and falls over .

She is on enro and she is starting doxy soon . The vet checked her ears and they were clear ... Can I ask why she is circling then if she doesn't have an ear infection.?. .
A vet can't always see deep enough in the rats ear for the infection. It's most likely an ear infection which is very common in rats.

They said they could see her ear drum though.? If it is an ear infection how do I treat it.?

Back